Spicy herbs are widely used both in cooking and for medicinal purposes. One of these spice plants is oregano. This herb has a bitter, but at the same time “bright” taste..
It can be added to various dishes – salads, to season meat treats, and also to use at preparation of pizza and other dishes of Italian cuisine. It is also widely used in traditional medicine. So what is this unique grass? We will understand the properties of oregano.
Oregano: what is it?
The shrub of this plant has several branched stems, which are covered with grayish-green leaves with an oval shape. Also, there are additionally small flowers of white or pink color. Plant height averages about составляет meter. The stem has a dense, erect structure..
Oregano is widely known as a seasoning. To taste, this seasoning has slightly bitter, sharp, warm shades, while its taste is quite bright, strong. Often this spice overshadows the taste of other spices, so it should be applied carefully and in small quantities..
The plant itself, like its name, originated from Greece. From the ancient Greek language the name “Oregano” means “the joy of the mountains.” The most fragrant varieties of this herb are found on the rocks in Italy..
Useful properties of seasoning
Oregano grass has a large number of useful properties, among which it is worth highlighting the most important ones:
- it is a medicinal plant that has a strong wound-healing effect;
- The composition of this herb includes a high level of essential oils, tannins, thymol, carvacrol. Thanks to these components, this plant is many times greater than a variety of antihistamine and antiseptic drugs. Has an antimicrobial effect;
- due to the fact that this grass has a high level of tannins, its use ensures good protection of the body against food poisoning and their consequences, and also prevents the growth of bacteria that have entered the body along with low-quality food products;
- The structure of this plant includes a high level of vitamins, namely vitamins of group B, and also vitamins A, C, K, E. Various macro and microelements – calcium, magnesium, zinc, iron, selenium, phosphorus, manganese. All these components are necessary for the full functioning of the human body;
- choline containing oregano has a positive effect on the nervous system, normalizes fat metabolism and cholesterol levels;
- In addition to all the above properties, this plant also has a number of beneficial effects – it has a firming, stimulating, diuretic, expectorant, bactericidal, diaphoretic, sedative, disinfectant and immunomodulatory effects.
This plant is often used in folk medicine to eliminate various diseases and disorders of the body. In folk medicine, this plant is used due to its wide range of beneficial actions:
- Broths, tinctures, which are based on oregano, can quickly get rid of poisoning, diarrhea, indigestion, flatulence;
- Oregano plant refers to antispasmodics that relieve pain. This plant helps to eliminate headaches, muscle pains;
- Oregano oil can be used for rubbing the back during pain with radiculitis and rheumatism, and it can also be used for rubbing during joint pain. With a toothache, you can attach a small cotton swab with a few drops of this plant’s oil to the aching tooth;
- This herb is excellent for various nervous system disorders..
She spice perfectly removes various sleep disorders, especially insomnia;
- It can be used by women during menstruation. During this period, oregano must be cooked broths. Their use will help not only to restore the emotional state, but also prevent inflammatory diseases of the genitourinary system;
- It improves the activity of the digestive system, has a beneficial effect on intestinal motility, increases the tone of smooth muscles, greatly enhances the secretion of digestive glands. Helps with various pathologies of the biliary system;
- Due to the fact that the decoctions of oregano have immunomodulatory and restorative properties, they are recommended to use in the period of colds and flu;
- The herb helps with coughing, has an expectorant effect. Decoctions based on it should be used for tuberculosis, asthma;
- Broths with oregano should be used as a rinse of the nasal cavity with various disorders of the respiratory tract – sinusitis, pharyngitis in acute form, tonsillitis;
- You can use it externally in the form of compresses for acne, herpes, eczema, fungal infections, neurodermatitis, boils. In addition, this herb helps with insect bites, makes it easier for burns, frostbite.
Oregano for quite a long time is very popular among many chefs. This is all due to the excellent bright taste of this herb. In cooking, dried leaves and buds of this plant are used, sometimes fresh leaves are used. This spice is widely used in dishes of Italian and Greek cuisine..
In our diet, this herb is used in the preparation of the following dishes and drinks:
- often used in the preparation of various drinks – cocktails, beer, kvass;
- widely used in pickling and canning vegetables. Adding this seasoning to the marinade gives the vegetables a bright taste with an unusual bitter taste;
- oregano often adds to various sauces for meat, fish dishes, vegetables;
- it is added to various vegetable salads;
- spices are often seasoned with baked potatoes, lamb, pork;
- can be put in soups – meat, vegetable, fish;
- in scrambled eggs and omelets.
Oregano is recommended to be added to dishes at the very end of cooking..
|boneless beef tenderloin –||1 kg|
|bow –||1 head|
|cream or olive oil –||50 grams|
|pearl barley –||100g|
|carrot –||1 piece|
|Champignon –||250 grams|
|frozen corn –||1 cup|
|meat broth –||2 glasses|
|water –||1000 ml|
|tomatoes in their own juice –||700 grams|
|garlic –||2 slices|
|dried oregano –||1 large spoon|
|salt –||1 tsp|
|celery –||1 stalk|
|ground pepper –||pinch|
|parsley –||5-6 branches|
|Time for preparing: 300 minutes||Calories per 100 grams: 180 Kcal|
- To start the cut, wash it, cut off all the film and excess fat;
- Cut into small pieces at your discretion, sprinkle salt on all sides and pepper;
- Put the butter in a saucepan with a thick bottom and put it on the fire;
- As soon as the oil warms up, it is necessary to lay out the pieces of meat and fry on all sides for 5-7 minutes;
- Next, chop the onion with garlic, fall asleep in the beef, reduce the heat and cover with a lid;
- We leave everything to languish for 3 hours, if necessary, you can add some water;
- After that, with the help of forks right in the pan, the meat is cut into small pieces;
- After that, we drop the pearl barley, put the tomatoes in our own juice, pour the broth and water. All well stirred;
- Next, season with salt and oregano, add the fire and boil until boiling;
- Reduce the heat and leave to boil for 30 minutes;
- Meanwhile, wash the carrots and mushrooms and cut them into small pieces;
- Celery stalk and parsley chop into small pieces;
- After 30 minutes in the soup lay out carrots with mushrooms, add the corn and sprinkle all the parsley with celery;
- Leave to boil for 20-25 minutes until ready.
Baked potatoes with lemon and oregano
For cooking, we will need:
- one and a half kilograms of potatoes;
- 100 ml of olive oil;
- ½ tbsp oregano;
- 1 lemon;
- some salt.
Cooking time – 1 hour, calorie – 120 kcal.
- To begin, the potatoes must be cleaned from the skin, thoroughly washed with cool water;
- Next, put it in a saucepan, pour water, add salt and set to boil;
- After the potatoes boil, you need to drain the water, thoroughly shake the tubers in a saucepan;
- Oven baking tray;
- In a separate bowl, mix the oregano and olive oil;
- Potatoes spread on the surface of the pan;
- We brush potatoes with a spicy mixture with a special brush;
- Lemon must be rubbed on all sides on a fine grater, we need only a peel;
- Sprinkle potatoes with grated zest;
- We warm the oven to 200 degrees and place a baking sheet with potatoes;
- Leave to bake for 15 minutes until golden brown.
What can replace oregano
If suddenly there is no such herb on hand or it is absent in stores, then it can be replaced with other spices, namely:
- “A mixture of Provencal herbs” – this seasoning includes oregano grass;
- oregano can be replaced with basil. These vegetable spices are considered interchangeable. To bring basil to the taste of oregano, you can add a few leaves of dried or finely chopped fresh mint;
- Thyme can be a great substitute;
- finely chopped dill with parsley;
- a mixture of ground cumin and marjoram.
Harm and contraindications to the use of oregano
Although this herb has a large number of useful properties, but sometimes it can harm. You should not use it in large quantities, otherwise nona can cause unpleasant consequences for the body. Often it provokes unpleasant allergic reactions.
In addition, it is not recommended to use it during the following conditions:
- High acidity of the stomach;
- Hypertensive disease in the severe stage;
- During pregnancy. This herb is the oldest means to terminate a pregnancy, therefore during pregnancy it is strictly not recommended to be eaten..
- oregano should be added in a small amount, otherwise this seasoning will bring down the taste of other spices;
- You can add this seasoning to different dishes – soups, pastries, salads and other meat, fish treats;
- You want your baked meat to have a pleasant aroma: Sprinkle it with oregano for 10 minutes before the end of cooking;
- do not forget to add a little oregano to the marinade when preserving vegetables; vegetables will be fragrant and very tasty.
Oregano is a unique spice that has a high level of beneficial substances. It can be used during cooking of various treats, added to salads and even drinks. But still when cooking do not overdo it with this spice. Increased consumption of this spice can cause unpleasant health problems..