Flour is a food product for which it is necessary to grind grains of cereal or other crops. It is used in the preparation of bread, pasta, various pastries. There is flour of several varieties depending on:
- raw materials used (wheat, rye, oatmeal);
Cast iron rollers are currently used to grind grains..
How to get it
Whole grain is called flour obtained from whole grains, that is, shells and germinal grains are preserved in it. Some time ago, this flour was called “fodder” or “fodder” and was not very much appreciated..
Such a product has the following list of characteristics:
- It contains minimal gluten;
- Strengthens the body’s defenses;
- Provides control of glucose levels;
- It helps to improve the work of the cardiovascular system;
- It can be used to prevent diseases affecting the endocrine or urinary system;
- Normalizes metabolic processes in the body;
- Prevents obesity.
About 70% of amino acids in spelled grains are essential and cannot be synthesized by the body. In addition, they contain easily digestible protein..
What is different from the usual
The composition of the wheat grain includes the germ, the shell and the endosperm. In the preparation of conventional flour, the shell and the germinal part are removed, keeping only the endosperm containing a large amount of protein..
Whole grain, on the contrary, includes not only the endosperm, but also embryos, as well as grain shells (bran) are partially preserved. Due to the difference in composition, this type of product is much richer in the content of oils and nutrients, but only a few months are given for its storage, and then it starts to deteriorate and becomes completely inedible. And ordinary flour can be stored under similar conditions for about two years..
Peeled flour and wholegrain – what is the difference?
The concept of peeled (wallpaper) flour refers primarily to rye kernels. This product does not differ in the homogeneity of the composition and contains only a small part of the bran. The peeled rye flour may be greyish-white or cream-gray in color. The reduced percentage of residues of shells is due to the fact that the grains are peeled off, although not completely.
Such a product is valuable for those who are not indifferent to their own health. The taste of rye pastry and other products is very pleasant and it is successfully combined with a small amount of calories and plenty of necessary vitamins..
Whole grain flour differs in that its production involves the complete grinding of the grain into a powder. Thus, all vitamins and minerals are retained, along with the fruit and seed shells, the endosperm and germinal parts..
It should be noted that the wallpapermeal structure is more (compared to whole-grain) suitable for baking bread or other products, since its components are better aligned to size.
Wholemeal flour and wholegrain – what is the difference?
These are two different definitions of the same concept. If you compare the whole-grain (whole-ground) product with the highest-grade flour, the second will be more homogeneous and high-calorie than the first.
Due to the low calorie content, whole flour and products made from it are preferred by those who are not indifferent to their health, as well as people who want to get rid of overweight.
In wholemeal flour, low levels of gluten and baking out of it turns out to be more dense than many are used to. Therefore, intending to cook something from a whole-grain product, it is better to add the highest-grade flour to the dough..
What is useful, is there any harm from it?
There are several indicators that speak about the benefits that whole grain flour brings:
- It includes all the components of ground grain (this is very important, since the main share of vitamins and minerals is enclosed in a shell, and usually all bran and aleurone layer are removed, preparing the grain for grinding);
- It is characterized by a high content of B vitamins, vitamin E, H, besides it has a lot of calcium, iron, manganese and chromium;
- Among other things, an important component of the product is fiber, obtained by the body from the non-invariant shell of grain (it stimulates the digestive tract, relieves constipation and diarrhea, helps to eliminate cholesterol and prevents the development of the putrefactive process in the intestine, although because of it the dough does not rise well, but it stabilizes digestion);
- Favorably affects the work of the digestive, cardiovascular and circulatory systems;
- Proteins and carbohydrates are in approximately equal proportions, which makes whole grain dietary.
However, this extremely useful product has some disadvantages:
- It causes irritation of the mucous membranes in the internal cavity of the stomach and intestines, since it contains large particles, therefore, people diagnosed with gastritis or cholecystitis are best avoided;
- It has a specific microflora that violates the balance of the GIT microflora of its own;
- May contain heavy metals that often accumulate in wheat bran growing in environmentally unsafe areas..
This should be taken into account when buying such flour or products from it..
What delicious to cook
Whole flour can be widely used in the home kitchen for the preparation of certain dishes.
|whole wheat flour –||0.2 kg|
|egg –||2 pieces|
|sugar –||0.1 kg|
|baking powder –||0.5 tsp|
|dark chocolate –||50 g|
|salt –||1 pinch|
|Time for preparing: 45 minutes||Calories per 100 grams: 245 Kcal|
The taste of chocolate is the best suited to the dough, which includes whole grain flour. You can also use nuts or dried fruits instead..
- Preheat oven to 180 ° C;
- Let the oil warm up to room temperature;
- After whipping it with sugar, so that the result is a white homogeneous mass;
- Still beating the mixture of sugar and butter continuously, inject the eggs one at a time;
- Churn flour with a sieve, add salt and baking powder;
- Chop a bar of chocolate into large pieces with a knife;
- Gradually introduce the flour in a container of sugar, butter and eggs, breaking all the lumps that appear;
- Pour the pieces of chopped chocolate and mix all the ingredients carefully;
- Put the dough into molds for baking cakes and put everything in a preheated oven for 20-30 minutes (the readiness of the dish can be determined using the dry match method).
Apple Cinnamon Pie
Delicate cinnamon flavor emanating from apple pie leaves no one indifferent. Therefore, be sure to cook it if you want to please your loved ones with a delicious dessert..
Ingredients (all components must be at room temperature):
- whole wheat flour – 0.25 kg;
- butter – 50 g;
- sugar – 50 g;
- kefir (another fermented milk drink) – 0.25 l;
- egg – 2 pieces;
- baking powder dough – 1 tsp;
- ground cinnamon – 0.5 tsp;
- salt – pinch;
- apples (preferably sour varieties) – 5 pieces.
Cooking time: 60-70 minutes.
Caloric content: 234 kcal.
- The oven must be pre-heated (160 ° C);
- In a separate container to prepare a mixture of flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon;
- Melt a slice of butter on the gas, let it cool slightly;
- Beat the cooled oil with a glass of kefir, eggs and sugar;
- Silicone spatula to introduce a dry mixture to the liquid, gently stirring and achieving the consistency of thick cream;
- Cut the apples into slices, removing the seed box;
- Cover the bottom of the baking dish with sunflower oil;
- ½ of the whole dough pour into the mold;
- Put thin apple slices on top of the first layer, and then pour them with residues of dough;
- Put the mold in the oven for about 40 minutes, check the readiness of the cake with a toothpick (the wood should remain dry).
What to replace the product
The best option for replacing whole-grain flour will be rye or wheat grains, ground in a coffee grinder. However, the lack of gluten content in it will have to be replenished by mixing it with high-grade wheat flour, or buckwheat flour, which has a high ability to glue dough.
Whole-ground flour products require much less sugar, salt and butter, and cheese, greens, zucchini or pumpkin are used as savory fillings..