Grapefruit is a citrus tree growing in the subtropics.
According to different versions, Jamaica, India or the Barbados Islands are considered to be its homeland, but today the largest producer of this fruit is the United States of America..
The fruits of grapefruit its location on a branch resemble a bunch of grapes.
Each fruit is quite large and can reach 500 g.
The appearance of this citrus, as scientists believe, was promoted by the natural crossing of two fruits – an orange and a pomelo, the taste of which was adopted by grapefruit..
There are three varieties of it – white, red and pink – they differ in the color of the pulp and have somewhat different properties..
By the way, white grapefruit, has no less useful properties than red, it is recommended to protect the shell of the colon and also reduces cholesterol.
The composition of grapefruit and its calorie content
The juice of this fruit is rich in vitamins A, C, which are antioxidants, vitamins B1 and B2, D, P, as well as substances such as magnesium, sodium, potassium, zinc, phosphorus, cobalt, iron and calcium.
The water content is 90%, sugars (glucose, sucrose) – 4 – 7%.
The composition also includes:
- bioflavonoids – protect against cancer and heart disease;
- Naringin – helps the gastrointestinal tract and removes excess fluid from the body;
- pectin helps to eliminate cholesterol, improves metabolism, helps during menopause;
- cellulose – normalizes the work of the intestine;
- Lycopene – is an antioxidant, is responsible for activating the process of removing toxins and toxins. Its content is significantly higher in red grapefruit;
- mineral salts – affect the metabolism;
- organic acids, essential oil – improve the digestive process, contributing to the development of gastric juice;
- phytoncides – are responsible for the presence of bactericidal properties;
- glycosides – prevent the development of atherosclerosis and increase blood pressure.
Caloric content of 100 grams of grapefruit is 29 – 35 Kcal.
The content of 100 grams of protein – 0.7 g, fat – 0.2 g, and carbohydrates – 6.5 g.
Health Benefits of Grapefruit
The benefits of this fruit is difficult to overestimate..
It has a healing effect on a huge list of various diseases..
- Helps reduce blood pressure and cholesterol levels, improves blood circulation. The source of naringin, which is responsible for this property, is white, bitter partitions; therefore, they should not be removed when using grapefruit;
Prevents the development of cancer;
- Normalizes metabolism, the process of digestion, improves appetite, relieves constipation. For this, it is recommended to drink a glass of freshly squeezed juice 20 minutes before meals;
- It is useful for anemia, because it improves the composition of the blood;
- Rejuvenates the body due to its antioxidant properties, fights cellulite (grapefruit oil is used for this);
- Helps with gastrointestinal diseases, pancreatic cancer;
- It is an excellent prevention of cardiovascular diseases and atherosclerosis;
- A positive effect on the liver, intestines, gallbladder;
- It helps to strengthen the immune system, providing the body with all the necessary vitamins;
- It has anti-inflammatory and diuretic properties;
- It is used for diabetes, as it reduces blood sugar levels, as well as gastritis with low acidity;
- Improves mood and memory, general mental state. So, grapefruit juice is recommended to be taken for depression and apathy;
- Used in cosmetology, for example, to remove freckles and improve skin condition.
Separately, we can mention the grapefruit peel, which also has useful properties..
If the gums are bleeding, you can make an infusion: chop a little peel, about 1 tablespoon, pour it with a glass of boiling water and leave for 4 hours..
Rinse your gums after eating.
To do this, take a cold grapefruit and some honey, cut the fruit into two halves and remove the pulp with a spoon.
It, along with honey, must be ground in a blender to a puree, after which the juice is ready.
By consuming half of this fruit, daily before meals, you can get rid of 2 kilograms in three months, and without the use of diets.
By eating a little fruit at night, you get rid of insomnia..
Grapefruit is also actively used in cooking, making it juices and liqueurs, jam and candied fruits..
If you pour it on meat or liver juice, their taste will improve..
You can also soak fish for half an hour in grapefruit juice to make the dish tastier..
Contraindications and harm
In addition to the obvious beneficial properties, grapefruit has a number of contraindications to use that may harm your health..
So, it can not be used with increased acidity of the stomach, with gastric ulcer, hepatitis, gastritis, enteritis, colitis, acute nephritis, cystitis, because it can irritate the kidneys and the mucous membrane of the stomach.
If you are taking medications to lower blood pressure, then in no case should you drink them with the juice of this fruit, because it interferes with the work of the enzyme responsible for the breakdown of such drugs..
As a result, the drug acts longer than expected, causing various side effects: dizziness, rapid heartbeat, facial flushing.
You can not also use grapefruit while taking birth control pills, because their effect is significantly reduced, and even completely disappears..
It has the same effect on antidepressants..
And in general, it was noticed that freshly squeezed grapefruit juice is not combined with most drugs, either increasing their concentration in the blood or reducing their effect several times..
Therefore, if you are undergoing treatment, it is better to forget about this tasty drink for a while in order to avoid serious health problems..
Long-term use of this fruit has a bad effect on the state of the tooth enamel, so you need to rinse your mouth after it and from time to time stop taking.
It should not be used in food peel fruit, because when it was grown it was treated with chemicals aimed at the destruction of pests..
It is clear that all these substances are concentrated in the skin of the fetus, so it will not be of any benefit to your health..
But, of course, all these contraindications do not mean at all that you must forever refuse grapefruit.
Selection and storage rules
When choosing a fruit, you need to focus on its appearance and weight – it should seem heavy for its size, and the shape of the fruit should be correct..
The grapefruit must be dense to the touch.
The intensity of the color depends on the content of beta-carotene in the fruit, affecting taste.
Consequently, the brighter the fruit – the sweeter it is. The flavor can also serve as a guide – it is stronger in ripe and juicy grapefruits..
Pay attention to the presence of matte skin – this indicates a lesser degree of chemical treatment.
Since after harvesting it does not ripen, it is not necessary to choose unripe fruits..
These fruits are best stored at a temperature of 10 – 14 ° C and no longer than 10 days.
It should be noted that the higher the degree of ripeness of the fruit, the less it will be stored.
As a conclusion, we can say that grapefruit is a real storehouse of vitamins and many useful substances with which you can improve your health and, if necessary, also throw off a few extra pounds without completely following any diets and not limiting yourself to food..
One has only to remember some contraindications to avoid the harmful effects of the fruit on the body..
In this video, we will look at the benefits and harm of eating such a wonderful fruit as grapefruit..