For more than forty years, the Atkins diet is considered one of the most effective weight loss programs..
The technique was developed in the 70s by Dr. R. Atkins, an American cardiologist who fought with his own excess weight..
The result of the doctor’s research was his own nutritional plan that allows you to lose weight quickly and as comfortably.
In addition to the effectiveness and objective advantages of the method, the high popularity is largely due to the fact that with the help of it many Hollywood stars achieved impressive results..
As with any weight loss program, which is based on a sharp reduction in the amount of carbohydrates consumed, this system requires physical exertion and should be under the supervision of a physician..
These rules can not be neglected, otherwise you can cause significant damage to the body..
The essence of the method is impacted by the fact that with a sharp decrease in the amount of carbohydrates consumed, against the background of an increase in the proportion of protons, the body is forced to extract energy from the “strategic reserve” – fat cells.
The duration of each period (except induction) is individual and only systematic and complete adherence to the program will lead to the goal – a slim body forever..
Phase 1. Induction
The task of the first stage is to launch “ketosis” – the splitting of fats..
This phase lasts 2 weeks and is the strictest Atkins low carb diet period..
The first stage involves compliance with the following rules:
- the daily amount of carbohydrates should not exceed 20 grams;
- every day you need to drink at least 8 glasses of pure water;
- one should eat fractional – eat 3-5 times a day, without taking breaks in eating more than six hours;
- reduction of servings – not the feeling of fullness, but satisfaction should be the norm;
- mandatory moderate exercise;
- proteins and fats must be balanced;
- in case of intestinal problems, increase the amount of plant foods and fiber.
The basis of the menu should be:
- Seafood: Oysters, Crabs, Lobsters and Shrimps.
- Fish: salmon, sardine, herring, flounder, trout.
- Bird: turkey, chicken, quail and pheasant meat.
- Meat: all kinds, preferably non-fat.
- Cheeses: hard varieties, goat cheese, cheese, with cheeses.
- Herbs and spices: basil, garlic, thyme, black pepper, dill, ginger, rosemary.
- Fats: vegetable oils (sunflower, soybean and sesame are preferred).
- Drinks: broth, still water, low caffeine drinks, lemon juice, herbal infusions.
- Vegetables: sorrel, alfalfa, cucumber, celery, cress, chicory, broccoli, radishes, parsley, green beans, artichokes, pumpkin, chard, eggplant, turnips, celery, leek, okra and Brussels sprouts.
Forbidden foods in Dr. Atkins diet:
- Sugar and sugar products.
- Flour products.
- All starchy vegetables.
- Products that contain caffeine or aspartame.
- Nuts, seeds.
During the first phase, an average of 2 to 5 kg is lost..
Phase 2. Gradual weight loss
During the second stage, a gradual weight loss continues..
Depending on the degree of excess weight, its duration can range from a couple of weeks to several years..
At this stage, it is necessary to individually determine the maximum daily dose of carbohydrates, during consumption of which ketosis will not stop and weight reduction will continue..
This value can vary from 20 to 150 g per day..
Calculates the permissible amount of carbohydrates by a smooth (5-10 grams per week) increase in carbohydrates and analysis of the dynamics of weight loss.
If body weight continues to decrease, you should continue to increase the proportion of carbohydrates in the diet..
Their number should be increased until weight loss is half a kilogram per week..
If the weight does not change or began to grow, you need to return to the diet of the first stage..
It is necessary to adhere to the menu of 2 phases until the body weight is 2–5 kg higher than the ideal.
During the second phase the diet gets richer.
- Homemade fresh cheese, fetaki, melted cheese, heavy cream.
- Spinach, sweet pepper or paprika, tomatoes, broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower, onions, avocado.
- Walnut, pecan, almond, sunflower seeds, peanuts, cashews.
- Blueberry, raspberry, strawberry, melon.
- Tomato juice.
It is important – after a month and a half of such nutrition, it is imperative to be examined and to undergo a blood test.
Phase 3. Stabilization of the result.
The third phase is the transition period to stabilize the weight, starting after the desired weight is reached..
The purpose of this stage is to determine the optimal amount of carbohydrates, while reducing the weight will stop and the result will be saved.
- One new product per day should be added..
- Increase the daily amount of carbohydrates should be very smooth (5 g per week) and track the dynamics of weight.
- It is necessary to eat more protein and increase the proportion of fat in the diet..
- When gaining weight, you need to reduce the daily amount of carbohydrates to 20 g.
Products added to the diet of the third phase:
- Nuts: pine nuts, pistachios, walnut, pumpkin seeds, sesame.
- Starch-rich vegetables: parsnips, carrots, sweet potatoes, beets, white potatoes.
- Legumes: lentils; beans, peas.
- Fruits: Apple, Cherry, Peach, Grapes, Strawberries, Grapefruit, Kiwi, Watermelon, Water-Diluted Fruit Cocktail, Plum, Banana, Mango.
- Groats: rice, oats, white bread, barley.
Phase 4. Maintaining your desired weight.
The fourth stage, in fact, must continue throughout life.
The author of the technique is convinced that with the consumption of the optimal rate of carbohydrates, individually determined stage earlier, the weight will be constant.
Reviews about the Atkins diet often indicate that strictly adhering to the program is still hard.
Therefore, if in the diet there were minor errors, you should increase physical activity and reduce the amount of carbohydrates.
In order to extra weight did not return should:
- give preference to healthy complex carbohydrates;
- constantly adhere to the optimal amount of carbohydrates defined in the third phase;
- do sport;
- get rid of bad habits.
Also, the author of the method consistently notes the need for continuous monitoring of biometric blood and blood pressure parameters, as well as the importance of taking vitamin complexes.
Below is a table of foods and carbohydrates in them for the Atkins diet..
|PORTION SIZE, g||PRODUCT NAME||CARBOHYDRATES, grams|
|180 g||Veal and Beef||0.0|
|180 g||Veal liver||10.4|
|60 g||Home Pork Sausages||0.8|
|180 g||Pork chop (from the center of the carcass)||0.0|
|60 g||Pork sausages||1.4|
|180 g||Minced pork||0.0|
|90 g||Smoked beef sausage||0.7|
|90 g||Beef salami||2.4|
|90 g||Turkey breast||0.0|
|VEGETABLES, GREEN, MUSHROOMS|
|0.5 pcs||Cucumber (small)||1.8|
|half a cup||Green peas||6.5|
|half a cup||Eggplant (sliced)||2.0|
|glass||Salad greens (mixture)||0.4|
|120g||Okra, or okra||5.0|
|0.25 cup||Green onions (chopped)||1.2|
|half a cup||Potatoes||13.9|
|half a cup||Pumpkin (sliced)||6.1|
|half a cup||Sweet pepper||3.3|
|1 PC||A tomato||3.2|
|half a cup||Turnip||2.3|
|half a cup||Watercress (sliced)||0.0|
|half a cup||Summer squash (sliced)||1.4|
|1 PC||Carrots (medium size)||5.1|
|half a cup||Green beans||2.9|
|half a cup||Broccoli||1.7|
|6 pieces||Brussels sprouts||7,6|
|half a cup||Cabbage||1.1|
|half a glass||Pasta, egg noodles||19.0|
|NUTS AND SEEDS|
|60 g||Pine nuts||1.7|
|2st. l||Pumpkin seeds||2.4|
|60 g||Sunflower seeds||1.5|
|half a cup||Couscous||17.1|
|2 tbsp. l.||Wheat germ||5.2|
|half a cup||Corn grits||9.7|
|2 tbsp. l.||Corn Flour||10.6|
|half a cup||Unpolished wild rice||16.0|
|half a cup||Barley groats||19.2|
|half a cup||Polished white rice||21.9|
|40 ml||Cognac and brandy||0.0|
|120 ml||Dry red wine||2.0|
|30 ml||Tequila, Vodka, Rum||0.0|
|120 ml||White wine dry||0.9|
|180 g||All types, except for the following||0.0|
|30 g||Canned Anchovies||0.0|
|glass||Milk (2.5% fat)||11.7|
|50 g||Sour cream||1.2|
|glass||Yogurt (without sugar and additives)||11.4|
|VEGETABLE OILS AND FILLINGS|
|5 g||Corn, olive, sesame oil||0.0|
|5 g||Classic mayonnaise||0.1|
|a piece||Whole Wheat Bread||10.7|
|60 g||Dry biscuits Cookies dry||26,6|
|a piece||Rye bread||13.6|
|a piece||White Wheat Bread||14.2|
|2 tbsp. l.||White wheat flour||11.5|
|half tsp.||Cocoa powder (no added sugar)||0.2|
|30 g||Bitter chocolate||16.2|
|15 g||Oatmeal Cookies||11.9|
|9 g||White sugar (refined)||4.2|
|15 g||Chocolate Biscuits||10.0|
|0.5 cup||Vanilla ice cream||15.6|
|2 tbsp. l.||Chocolate crumb (semi-sweet)||12.0|
|30 g||Roquefort cheese||0.4|
|2 tbsp. l.||Cheese Creamy Feta||0.8|
|0.5 cup||Ricotta (whole milk)||1.9|
|30 g||cheddar cheese||0.2|
|half a cup||Curd cheese with cream||2.8|
|30 g||Parmesan, whole milk mozzarella||0.3|
|30 g||Swiss (grated)||0.5|
|half a cup||Lentils||14.2|
|2 tbsp. l.||Hummus (boiled chickpea paste)||4.6|
|half a cup||Beans||11.0|
|FRUIT AND FRUIT JUICES|
|1 PC||An Apple||17.3|
|0.25 cup||Grated apples||6.2|
|0.5 cup||Tomato juice||4.7|
|half a cup||Apple juice||14.4|
|0.25 cup||Melon, white nutmeg variety (sliced)||3.6|
|0.5 cup||Grapefruit juice||10.9|
|1 tbsp. l.||Lemon juice||1,3|
|1 PC||Banana (small)||21.2|
|a quarter cup||Blackberry||2.7|
|0.5 cup||Orange fresh||13.2|
|0.25 cup||Dried apricots||21.3|
|a quarter cup||Blueberry||4.1|
|1 PC||Fresh figs||7.9|
|1 PC||Fresh Apricot||3.1|
|0.25 cup||A pineapple||4.3|
|1 cup||Wheat flakes||10.5|
|half a cup||Oatmeal (Oatmeal)||10.6|
|1 PC||Chicken egg||0.6|
In addition to high efficiency in terms of weight loss, the nutrition program developed by Robert Atkins, according to some scientists, is safe and positively affects the state of the body – restores the optimal level of metabolism and normalizes the gastrointestinal tract.
Along with this, the liver, kidneys and cardiovascular system improves..
It is important to understand that, like any protein diet, the program requires not only strict compliance with food recommendations, but also the implementation of the principles of an active lifestyle..
The author’s method, supplemented by sports loads, allows to achieve a truly amazing result and excellent well-being..
And now it’s time to learn about the reviews and results of the Atkins diet:
Sustained the so-called first stage, really lost 4 kg. But then she tired of checking the full table on the Atkins diet and returned to the usual menu. But the weight has not yet returned, although 3 months have passed.
Already sat on this diet several times, but I use it mainly as an option to lose weight quickly, that is, the first phase, to fix the result is no longer possible. And the weight on it really goes away quickly and easily..
Check out the video review of such a weight loss: