On the agenda – the replenishment of knowledge in the culinary field. Today we find out what is white salmon fish. On sale it can often be found frozen (smoked, salted). All by the fact that its white meat is very tender and fat, does not tolerate long-term storage in refrigerated form..
What kind of fish, where lives, what is useful?
White fish is a large predatory fish, which belongs to the subfamily Sigidae (Salmonid family). It is a semi-aisle fish with a small head, large mouth, equipped with small sharp teeth (lower jaw prominently forward), elongated, flattened laterally, torso.
The whole body is covered with large silver scales, the back is darker: from bluish-green to brown color, the belly is white. Individual adults reach a length of up to 1.5 meters and a weight of 50 kg. On average, the size of the commercial representatives of the species is about one meter, and the weight is in the range of 18-20 kg. There are several subspecies of white salmon:
- The true whitefish (Stedonus leucichthys leucichthys) lives exclusively in the Caspian basin, spawns in the Volga;
- The Nelma (Stedonus leucichthys nelma) is the main habitat of the river of Siberia (Ob, Lena, Yenisei), the basin of the Arctic Ocean. It is found not only in Eurasia, but also in North America (the basins of the Mackenzie and Yukon rivers).
The food for both subspecies is a smaller fish: young herring, pike, perch, bullhead. Do not hesitate to young their kind. Puberty occurs at the age of 6-7 years (in males a year earlier), spawn once every 2-3 years. Average life expectancy of 12 years.
This excellent product, with a high content of polyunsaturated fatty acids, vitamins and minerals, is characterized by low calorie content, and is recommended by dieticians for use with weight loss..
Contraindications and precautions
The main contraindication for ingestion of Nelma is an allergic reaction to this species or to the fish as a whole. With the undoubted great benefits of the product should not abuse them beyond measure. Overeating can lead to problems in the gastrointestinal tract, disruption of the pancreas and liver.
Particular attention should be paid to the choice of Nelma. Insulate the appearance, the values are:
- uncomplicated look, smell;
- gill condition (pink or red), if you can see;
- scales and fins (scales are smooth, shiny, without color changes, and the fins are integral, adjacent to the carcass);
- beware of changing the cheap silver carp, pay attention to the price (a delicacy is not cheap).
Features of cooking white fish
How tasty to cook white fish? Nelma is good in any form. It is boiled, steamed, baked, fried, salted and smoked. It is absolutely unpretentious, cooks quickly and at the same time has excellent taste..
The product is considered to be a delicacy, with its high cost and limited presence on the shelves. If you are lucky enough to acquire a valuable whitefish representative, then you should, first of all, be careful to use all parts of the carcass (if it is a whole fish or carcass).
From the head, fins, tail, you can cook fragrant fish soup, and tender white meat to cook according to your chosen recipe.
|nelma (head and tail) –||0.5 kg|
|potato –||6 medium|
|bulbs –||2 small|
|carrots –||1 PC.|
|allspice –||6-8 peas|
|laurel –||3-4 sheets|
|fresh greens –||bundle|
|saffron stigmas –||taste|
|sea salt –||taste|
|Time for preparing: 60 minutes||Calories per 100 grams: 24 Kcal|
Cooking soup step by step:
- Carefully wash the head (remove gills) and fish tail (remove scales) in cool running water. Put them in a saucepan and pour 3 liters of filtered water. Salt, put on a small fire and boil until foaming;
- Remove the foam with a spoon and add laurel leaves, peas and one onion to the pan. Cook for about half an hour;
- Remove all supplements from the broth and add peeled and finely chopped onions, carrots and potatoes to the pan. Boil under a lid over low heat for about 20 minutes;
- Put saffron in your ear 5 minutes before readiness;
- Wash well and finely chop the greens, decorate the ready dish with it, laid out in portions.
Nelma in foil in the oven
- 1 carcass Nelma (about 800 grams);
- 1 lemon;
- 1-2 cloves of garlic;
- 2 medium onions;
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil;
- 1 tomato;
- 1 bell pepper;
- 2 small carrots;
- seasonings for fish to your taste;
- a pinch of sea salt;
- bunch of parsley.
The total time for cooking 60-70 minutes. Caloric content: 86 calories per one gram portion.
Recipe step by step:
- Wash the fish carcass, clean the abdominal cavity from the remnants of the entrails, remove the scales. Dry with paper towels;
- Garlic cloves to pass through the press, add seasoning for fish, salt. Generously rub the mixture of fish carcass inside and out. Sprinkle with juice squeezed from half a lemon and leave to marinate for 25-30 minutes;
- Peel and wash vegetables: carrots, onions, peppers. Cut the bulbs into quarters into rings, carrot into slices, and the Bulgarian pepper with short straws and sauté in a pan in olive oil. Salt, let cool;
- Cut the remaining half of lemon and tomato into half rings;
- Cover the baking sheet with foil in 2 layers (cut with a margin so that the edges can be bent and the fish is closed), smeared with olive oil;
- Make cuts in the side of the Nelma (at an angle), Place the carcass on the foil and fill the abdomen, alternating slices of tomato and lemon, which, in turn, lay out the pasted vegetables. Insert into the side incisions the remaining half rings of lemon and tomato;
- Finely chop the washed greens and sprinkle the stuffed fish carcass with it;
- Bend the edges of the foil, put in a heated oven to bake for half an hour..
How to pickle
- 0.5 kg of frozen Nelma fillets;
- 2 onions;
- 1 tablespoon salt;
- 1 teaspoon sugar;
- 2-3 bay leaves;
- spices for fish (optional or not added);
- 5-8 sprigs of young dill.
The total time for preparing a fish snack will be a little over 24 hours. Caloric content: per 100 grams 78 kcal.
- Defrost the fillets at room temperature, rinse, dry;
- Peel peeled onions and chop into thin half-rings;
- At the bottom of the enameled (ceramic, glass) form lay out one onion, evenly distributing the cutting on the container;
- To break the dry leaflets of laurel into 4-5 parts each, spread half of the scrap in a bow;
- Salt the fillets, sprinkle with spices (optional), sprinkle with sugar on top and cover with the remaining onion slices and lavrushka;
- Cover the form with a salted fillet lid (if possible, put under pressure) and send to reach the day on the bottom shelf in the refrigerator;
- A day later, remove the fillet from the pickling form, clean out of everything superfluous (onion, laurel, salt and sugar). Cut into small slices, put in herringbone, sprinkle with fresh dill and serve in this form to the table.
We hope that these recipes for white stalls will be useful to you, and you will be able to please your friends with new dishes..