One of the most unusual cuisines of European countries is Italian. She presented the world with a variety of dishes of various complexity and taste, which gained popularity far beyond the borders of the state. One of them is prosciutto – a variety of ham or ham as understood by residents of other states..
What is it in cooking, history
The product is dried pork. You can buy it in the form of a single piece or cut into slices. The history of the delicacy begins from the time of the Roman Empire, where it was first learned to preserve meat for a long time..
Later, sales of prosciutto were set up in Parma and Tuscany, including by a foreign trader. So they found out about this product and loved it. In modern cooking, the dish is included in the list of products with a protected and confirmed quality mark in Italy – DOP.
For proper preparation of prosciutto it is very important to follow each of the available steps:
- selection of pigs;
- special feeding, including corn, grass, millet, fruit, and whey from cheese;
- during direct cooking, heat treatment is not used – all processes are natural;
- select ingredients are used – sea salt, herbs, spices.
In that case, if all stages are observed, and the technology is not broken, then the dish turns out to be tender and fragrant..
Calorie and good
The benefits to the body are also very important, which is why you need to know about it before you purchase a product. The composition of the original prosciutto includes:
- vitamin A and B;
- vitamins E and PP.
Mineral group of substances that are part of:
- magnesium (high content);
There are no carbohydrates in the product at all. As a result of the use of prosciutto, the body receives all the components necessary for the smooth and proper operation. So the vitamin complex helps to strengthen the immune system, maintains muscle tone.
Magnesium has a positive effect on the nervous system, zinc – improves and regulates the activity of the gastrointestinal tract.
Iron has a beneficial effect on the composition of blood, calcium strengthens bones. That is why the Italian ham is recommended for use in the process of treatment or adherence to special diet programs..
There are several types of this delicacy:
Crudo is a dry-cured ham on the bone, which is steamed pork, taken from the hind leg..
It is also important to know that each locality producing this product introduces special ingredients into it that give the prosciutto a special taste and aroma. That is why the following types of product are on sale:
- Parma ham (dried pork legs, cooking duration – 1 year);
- Tuscan prosciutto (prepared using herbs, spices and spicy salt);
- Prosciutto di Modena (prepared by the method of dry salting, a mixture of flour, spices and fat is used. The aging period is 14 months).
There is also prosciutto di ventano – a feature of the product is that the processing and direct preparation is carried out in different areas of the country. Production time is at least one and a half years..
What is the difference from jamon prosciutto
Like prosciutto, jamon is a product that is prepared by drying pork meat. However, there are several distinctive features that allow to distinguish these products. The main difference is the place of origin. If prosciutto refers to Italian cuisine, then jamon is a Spanish dish..
The taste and aroma of the finished product is also different. This is explained as follows:
- different climatic conditions;
- not the same ration (in Spain, pigs are fattened with acorn cork acorns, whereas in Italy – with fruits, maize and whey of dairy products).
Hamon is made from black pig meat. That is why the delicacy has a rich shade. Prosciutto is mostly light. Another difference from jamon prosciutto is the technology of cooking meat products.
Hamon is salted in closed containers, for this reason it is hard and dry. Before this stage, the meat is not subjected to any heat treatment. The period of its exposure is 48 months, which explains the high price of the finished product..
Prosciutto is cooked without the use of containers or other containers, but constantly maintain certain moisture levels..
Sometimes it is allowed heat treatment of meat (it passes the process of boiling), which allows to achieve tenderness and juiciness. The term of preparation (aging) is on average 12 months, for this reason, the cost of prosciutto is lower than jamon.
In order for the product to turn out to be of high quality, to meet all the requirements and ideas about it, it is necessary to observe the historically established peculiarities of the manufacture of prosciutto.
One of them is to maintain a certain temperature and humidity. It is also important to observe the exposure time – the product reaches the readiness of at least 10 months, but a period of 12-14 months is considered ideal. The drying process is performed in open space – the ham is hung on special racks.
Only natural supplements are used – a variety of herbs and spices, salt, giving spiciness and piquancy. Freezing is not performed, as the product will lose its unusual taste and aroma..
How to choose high-quality prosciutto, store, approximate cost
In order to choose a high-quality prosciutto, you must carefully read the label, and also pay attention to the appearance of the product. The meat should be pink or reddish, white blotches are allowed..
The original product must contain sea or spiced salt, only spices and herbs are allowed. There should be no flavor enhancers or odor in the composition..
Methods and shelf life will depend on whether a whole piece of meat is purchased or already cut into pieces. In the first case, you can store prosciutto in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
It is recommended to cover it with a clean towel to ensure natural ventilation. You can not freeze. If the product was cut into pieces, then its shelf life is limited to 1-2 days. In this case, you can leave the meat at room temperature (if you intend to eat it right away) or put it in the fridge. The approximate cost is an average of 1200 rubles per kg.
What eat prosciutto
Prosciutto can be a full-fledged independent dish. It is also used as a snack, served with melon, asparagus or young green peas. This product is part of a variety of sauces, used as an ingredient for cooking pasta and sandwiches..
Prosciutto is a part of various dishes. A hostess who wants to surprise guests or relatives with unusual and exquisite culinary solutions should have in her arsenal several recipes that include this delicacy..
|puff pastry (prepared or cooked by yourself) –||0.5 kg|
|bulb onions (yellow) –||120g|
|olive oil –||45 ml|
|prosciutto –||150 g|
|chicken eggs –||10-12 pieces.|
|potatoes –||300 g|
|pepper and salt –||taste|
|Time for preparing: 80 minutes||Calories per 100 grams: 69 Kcal|
This dish is a great start to the day..
- Puff pastry is divided into two parts and each rolled separately;
- Put one of the parts in the baking dish (so that the dough extends beyond the edges of the container);
- Onion peel and chop finely;
- Prosciutto is also cut into small pieces;
- Mix onion, prosciutto and olive oil, evenly spread on the dough;
- Peel potatoes and cut into thin circles, put the next layer;
- Beat eggs a little, then pour the potatoes with them, salt and pepper to taste;
- Close on top of the second half of the rolled puff pastry, fasten both parts together;
- Bake 60 minutes in the oven, heated to 190 degrees.
Serve share cut into portions. You can decorate the top with a sprig of fresh greens.
Fish Baked with Prosciutto
An excellent option for a festive dish will be baked fish with prosciutto. The following ingredients are required for cooking:
- fish (whole) – 2 pcs (halibut is ideal);
- seasoning to taste;
- prosciutto – 120 g;
- sour cream – 30 g;
- lemon peel – 10 g;
- zucchini – 1 pc;
- olive oil – 50 ml;
- Bulgarian pepper – 1 pc.
Cooking time – 30 minutes.
Calorie dishes per 100 g – 264 kcal.
- Pepper and zucchini cut into small cubes, fry in olive oil (20 ml);
- To cut fish (free from bones, cut off the tail and head);
- Place fillet on cling film;
- Prosciutto cut into pieces (round), arrange them so that you can wrap the fish in them, forming a roll;
- Put sour cream and vegetable fry on each fillet, sprinkle with spices and salt to taste;
- Chop the lemon zest and sprinkle the fish on top of it;
- Close one fillet to another, wrap in sliced prosciutto, lightly press down;
- Fix roll in a convenient way;
- Fry it in a pan with olive oil until golden brown;
- Then put in a heated oven to 190 degrees and bake another 5-10 minutes (time depends on the size of the fish).
Serve with vegetable garnish (you can use the remaining roast).