The beautiful and sonorous word “consome” is of French origin, but is translated as “long cooking.” What it is?
Some cooks prepare the so-called “double” consommé. The idea is that the broth is first cooked on the meat bone, and then the bone is removed and pieces of pure meat are placed, which is boiled until fully cooked..
Previously, consomme was a popular dish in restaurants serving French and Russian cuisine. It was served with various kinds of side dishes, ham and pies with meat stuffing. But it soon disappeared from the menu because it was considered harmful to health..
And yet, the consomm has not disappeared without a trace. Recently, it is renewing its demand in the “world of dishes”. You can order it in restaurants of the respective cuisine or cook it at home. Next we will talk about cooking options, cooking secrets and ways of serving.
Features of cooking consommé
Like any culinary creation, consomme has a number of features that allow you to prepare a delicious dish.
- The first thing you need to pay attention to is the choice of meat. It is meat that gives taste to the broth. It is better to give preference to fresh or chilled form. In such pieces longer useful components, and the most important taste remain. But, if you purchased frozen meat for consomme, then in order to get saturated and fragrant broth it is necessary to defrost it properly. To do this, there are two options: either put the frozen product in the refrigerator chamber, or, after washing the meat under warm water, put it in a bowl with a lid and leave it until it is completely defrosted. Many, for a faster effect, put the meat for a long time in cold water or use a microwave. This is fundamentally wrong, because meat, with such a defrost, will lose all its beneficial properties;
- Not every meat piece is suitable for a good consomme. The ideal options are considered rump and rump. The meat of these cuts is the softest, it has less veins. Before cooking, wash the meat, cut the film. It is better to cook a solid piece, it will contribute to the taste richness;
- Proper cooking of the consomm is that the prepared piece of meat is placed in a saucepan, which is filled with cold water and set to cook on slow fire for 2 hours. The foam formed during the cooking process is removed with a spoon. If you leave it, then it will turn into lumps and settle, which will spoil the look of the broth;
- After cooking, the broth is filtered and obtained in its pure form;
- Serve as hot and cold. Gelatin is sometimes added to give greater viscosity..
|drinking water –||2 liters|
|beef bone –||1 PC.|
|carrot –||1 PC.|
|bow –||2 pcs.|
|celery stalk –||2 pcs.|
|dill and parsley –||0.5 bundles|
|parsley root –||1 PC.|
|vegetable oil –||50 ml|
|egg whites –||2-3 pieces.|
|ground beef –||300 g|
|Time for preparing: 180 minutes||Calories per 100 grams: 43 Kcal|
Constant experiments in the culinary art have practically overshadowed the eternal classics. This also applies to the consomm, which can now be found performed in multiple versions: on fish, fruits, vegetables.
However, the classic consommé is the basis of most dishes. And the recipe of its preparation is simple in execution..
Now turn to cooking:
- The beef bone is well washed, placed in a saucepan and filled with clean water. They are sent to a strong fire and are waiting for boiling. The appeared foam on the surface of the broth is removed as much as possible. As soon as the broth boils, let it boil for a couple of minutes, and then reduce the heat to a slow level and leave the future to stew;
- Onions, carrots, celery and roots are cut into large pieces and fried in butter until golden. Once the vegetables are fried, they are thrown into the broth;
- After 2 hours, the broth is turned off and cooled naturally. On the cooled broth it is easy to collect the accumulated fat;
- After that, the consommé is again set on fire until boiling, and then it is torn down for 30 minutes. After half an hour they take out the bone, vegetables, and filter the broth itself;
- Strained consommé again boiled and spread in it a mixture of extract: minced, mixed with proteins. Cooked mince will pull out all the ingredients from the broth, which give it a dark shade;
- Now the broth is again filtered, only this time through the gauze folded several times. Remove the stuffing, it can be used in another dish;
- Add vegetables to pure broth. It is fully prepared for filing..
It will take:
- veal with bone – 800 g;
- clear water – 2.5–3 liters;
- carrots – 1 pc;
- onions – 1 pc;
- Lavrushka leaf – 1-2 pieces;
- vegetable oil – 3 tbsp. l .;
- salt, pepper peas.
Consomme with veal served with crackers, for the preparation of which will need:
- French baguette – 1 pc;
- hard cheese – 100 g;
- seasoning for broth – 0.5 tsp;
- olive oil;
Cooking time – 3 hours.
Calorie content – 220 kcal.
- The meat is washed and placed in cold water for soaking for half an hour. After the meat is separated from the bone;
- Put the meat and bone in the pan, pour water and put it on the fire – boil. Do not leave the meat to stew on its own, because soon there will be a foam on the surface of the water – the juice of the meat that needs to be removed;
- In the pan add half the purified carrots and onions, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Reduce fire to a minimum and leave the consomm until the end of readiness;
- Fry onions and carrots in a pan;
- While the consomm is to languish under the lid, they prepare garnish croutons: the baguette is cut into cubes and scattered into pieces on a baking sheet lined with paper. The pieces are sprinkled with oil, salt, seasoning and sent to the oven to dry. Once the croutons are almost ready, they are sprinkled with grated cheese and sent back to the oven until the cheese is melted;
- The finished broth is filtered and the meat and frying are added to the cleaned consomme;
- Consomme is served in a soup plate, and croutons are served on a separate bowl..
Non-standard approach in cooking is the preparation of a tomato dish..
What you need:
- tomatoes – 1 kg;
- Shallot – 3 heads;
- garlic – 3 cloves;
- basil – 2-3 sprigs;
- mayonnaise, salt, pepper – to taste;
- olive oil.
The dish is prepared not for long – 25–30 minutes.
Calorie – 75 kcal.
- Onions and garlic finely chopped;
- Spread them in the pan, add 1 tbsp. l olive oil and set to languish on low heat;
- In the meantime, they prepare the tomatoes: they wash them and pour boiling water over them in order to better separate the skin. The pulp is grated and put into a pan, salt;
- Spread mayonnaise and chopped basil stalks in a saucepan;
- The fire is intensified and boiled for 10 minutes;
- Stirring occasionally, try on the salt and, if necessary, saline. Add pepper and chopped basil leaves;
- Add some water if necessary;
- Boil another 5 minutes and the consommé of tomatoes is ready..
What do you eat?
In the classic version, as well as in a different version, the broth is well combined:
- with meatballs;
- with profiteroles with meat or pate stuffing;
- with meat patties;
- with fried mushrooms;
- with croutons;
All supplements are served on separate plates..
In addition, the following side dishes will be a delicious addition:
- celery and leek straws;
- fresh greens;
- poached eggs.
Experienced chefs know how to make consomé the most delicious. You can use these secrets in the home kitchen..
- Add 1 tbsp. l lemon juice, during cooking, in broth. This will help to make the meat more tender, and the taste of the consomo will acquire an unusual sourness;
- To make the broth appetizing aroma and golden color, close to the end of cooking, put a little clean onion peel into a saucepan with a consommé (one bulb is enough) or half a medium carrot;
- If there is a need to lighten the broth, then for this purpose, a mixture of 2 proteins and beef or chicken mince is added to the finished hot consommé. All this is boiled in broth for about 15 minutes, and then the consommum is re-filtered.
Enjoy your meal!