What barley cereals are made of is a simple question, the answer to which lies in its name. Barley is a product that is made from barley. To get it, the barley grain is crushed, but not subjected to grinding, so useful fiber is stored in the croup and all the advantages of whole grain products..
Doctors and nutritionists are actively advised to use barley grits, and this is not accidental, it is really useful. Vitamins and minerals that are part of it provide invaluable help to the body. So what does barley cereal consist of??
The chemical composition of the product per 100 grams:
|Vitamins||Amount (mg)||Minerals||Amount (mg)||Minerals||Amount (mg)|
The useful barley, its calorie
Barley has a high content of silicon, potassium and B vitamins. Porridge from this cereal is recommended for people with heart and vascular problems. Constant use of barley cereals will noticeably improve the functioning of the heart, normalize blood pressure and protect against atherosclerosis – and all this is due to potassium, silicon and vitamin B3, which are part of the cereal.
The grain of this cereal consists of 5-6% of coarse fiber (fiber). A large number of coarse fibers improve intestinal function. Therefore, barley porridge copes with flatulence, constipation and food intoxication..
Coarse fibers, entering the body, are not digested, but like a sponge absorb toxins and harmful substances, then remove them naturally..
Barley grain is a very nutritious product, it contains slow-absorbing carbohydrates, protein, vegetable fat, minerals and vitamins A, E, B, D. It is useful for people who are full-bodied and obese, its caloric content does not exceed 350 kcal.
It is recommended to include barley porridge in your menu for diseases such as diabetes, arthrosis, arthritis, anemia, diseases of the genitourinary sphere and the digestive system.
Harm and contraindications
Products labeled “gluten free” are intended for people with a rare hereditary disease – celiac disease. And in the seeds of barley in large quantities contains this valuable vegetable protein (gluten). Literally translated from Latin, this word sounds like glue. Its presence has a positive effect on the quality of products made from barley grits..
But if such food gets into the intestines of a person with celiac disease, then gluten will simply glue the villi located in the small intestine, inflammation will occur, and all nutrients entering the body will not be absorbed..
With this disease is prohibited: barley; barley grits; barley flour; beer. An allergic reaction to gluten often occurs, especially in children. Therefore, it is possible to feed baby barley porridge only from the age of three..
Barley and wheat groats – what is the difference?
What is the difference between barley and wheat cereal? We present a brief description of the differences:
- barley grain – crushed, unpolished product made from barley kernels;
- wheat groats – crushed product, made from refined wheat grain;
- it follows that coarse plant fibers in barley groats are more, because they are not polished, it contains a lot of phosphorus, which is necessary for metabolism, therefore it is more suitable for people who are losing weight;
- Wheat groats contain 60% starch and 22% protein, fiber, vegetable fat, minerals (phosphorus, magnesium, calcium, potassium and others), vitamins of group B, PP, E and C, but barley is a champion among all cereals on the content of calcium, manganese, potassium; it contains more B vitamins, selenium and protein;
- protein in barley is superior in protein to wheat in its nutritional value. It is absorbed in the human body by almost 100%, in contrast to animal protein.
Selection and storage
In appearance, the cereal is sometimes simply impossible to determine its freshness. There are some rules common to all cereals made from barley. It is best to buy cereals in cardboard packaging, usually it has a shelf life of up to 1 year..
If you already stocked up barley in a plastic bag, be careful about the expiration date, it should be a maximum of 6 months. It is not recommended to buy barley grits in such a package, the shelf life of which is coming to an end..
It can be musty and bitter. Do not store the cereal for too long in a plastic bag; pick up a glass jar with a tight-fitting, sealed lid. Put it in a dry and dark place..
Remember that the croup should be dry, otherwise bacteria and mold develop in it. Improper storage of barley cereals – guaranteed spoiled porridge and other dishes made from it.
|fresh milk –||1 liter|
|barley cereal –||1 cup|
|softened (diced) butter –||50 grams|
|eggs –||3 pcs.|
|sour cream –||200 grams|
|Time for preparing: 60 minutes||Calories per 100 grams: 310 Kcal|
Barley porridge is not necessary to cook for future use. The most delicious dish is that straight from the plate is served on the table..
- Wash the grits with special care so that the water flowing from it is clean and clear;
- Put the washed cereal in a sieve, shake well and put in a saucepan, pour hot milk;
- Cook on medium heat until boiling, then set the minimum mode and continue cooking;
- After half an hour, the cereal will melt, add salt, cubes of butter and 200 grams of sour cream. Stir well, remove from heat;
- Beat the eggs with a whisk until fluffy foam, pour the mixture into a hot dish, mix gently using a wooden spatula;
- Put the porridge in the baking dish or pan. Send to oven heated to 160 degrees. In 15 minutes the dish will be ready..
What else can be cooked from barley cereals? Most often, porridge is prepared from barley grits, but you can make unusual burgers from it and make a dish with mushrooms..
To make cutlets you will need:
- 100 g breadcrumbs;
- onion head;
- 100 g of crushed ice;
- parsley – to taste;
- 300g beef pulp;
- 100 g barley grains;
- cherry and lettuce leaves as decoration.
You will need to cook dishes 50 minutes. Calculation of products for 3 servings, each 315 kcal.
Preparation consider step by step.
Step 1. Within 10 minutes, boil the cereal in salted water. In this dish, the croup replaces pieces of bread soaked in milk..
Step 2. For minced meat, chop the flesh into small pieces, from them prepare minced meat with the addition of onions. Season to your taste with pepper and salt, add chopped greens, 4 tablespoons of boiled cereal. Thoroughly mix all the ingredients, then roll into a bowl and beat off the table to remove excess air..
Step 3. The final touch is crushed ice or ice water to add to the stuffing. Divide the resulting mass into equal parts (approximately). To form oval cutlets out of them, put a cube of butter inside each. Put crackers on a plate and roll the patties in them.
Step 4. On both sides to brown the cutlets in hot oil. After that, reduce the heat, cover the pan with a lid, cook another 10 minutes. Serve with lettuce and cherry tomatoes.
Mushrooms with Yachka
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms;
- or 8 pieces dry;
- 1 cup of cereal;
- add spices – to taste.
It will take 35 minutes to prepare the dish, the portion will not exceed 290 kcal..
How to do:
- Pour into the pan 500 ml of water, put the mushrooms and boil until cooked. If you use dried mushrooms, then they should be cooked, after pre-soaking and chop julienne already ready;
- Mushroom broth to cook cereal. While she is preparing to fry onion in butter, add mushrooms, turn off the stove after 3 minutes;
- When serving with porridge, add fried onions, mushrooms and butter.
Tips and Facts
Barley is one of the oldest cereals on earth. During the Neolithic period, man cultivated barley. And already at that time he was considered not only food, but medicine and even a measure of weight and length..
In Russia, it is used to make a ritual colivo known for a long time – liquid porridge, to which poppy, honey or jam is added. But in Japan, tea is made from barley..
Two important tips:
- Eat barley porridge to stay full and slim for a long time. The mechanism of action is simple, when blood sugar is normal, then our brain does not signal to us that it is time to eat. But when a person eats a muffin or candy, the sugar rises sharply, after which insulin is released into the blood, the incoming sugar turns into fat, and then it is deposited on our body. So, in the composition of barley a huge amount of fiber (coarse fibers), which will not allow the sugar to instantly rise and enter the blood;
- To improve mental and organizational activity, to get rid of irritability, absent-mindedness, add the grass of forgetfulness to your diet. We are talking about barley groats, which include B vitamins, I especially want to mention B1, B2, B12, as well as B9 (folic acid).
Summing up, I would like to note that barley dishes have a positive effect on the intestines, the work of the stomach and the heart. Thanks to this croup, mental activity increases, weight decreases and mood improves. Therefore, include it in your diet regularly and stay healthy!