Mackerel can be found everywhere in almost any store in a smoked, salted and frozen form or as canned fish. It serves as an excellent source of protein, iodine, phosphorus, nicotinic acid, vitamin D, omega-3 fatty acids and other substances useful to the human body..
Avoiding the frustration of buying salted mackerel is easy enough by preparing it yourself. Moreover, it is not difficult to prepare, and proven recipes and advice from experienced chefs will help to avoid possible mistakes in the process of salting..
So, salting mackerel in brine slices can be done by several methods. Consider each of them in order..
|fresh or fresh frozen mackerel –||500 g|
|drinking water –||1000 ml|
|salt –||100 g|
|white crystalline sugar –||50 g|
|table 9% vinegar –||40 ml|
|bay leaves –||3 pcs.|
|black pepper –||3 peas|
|allspice –||2 peas|
|Time for preparing: 1320 minutes||Calories per 100 grams: 183 Kcal|
According to this recipe, the fish turns out very tasty for only that even those people who are used to buying this product in the store without thinking will switch to homemade salted mackerel. In addition to excellent taste, there are two huge advantages in fish, salted in this way. First, the recipe does not require special ingredients and long time-consuming costs. Second, you can always be sure of the freshness of the product..
Step-by-step instruction salting:
- First you need to do a pickle. For its preparation should use enameled utensils (pan or stew). In water, dissolve salt and sugar, add spices and put on fire. After boiling, let the brine simmer for five minutes, remove from the stove and cool;
- While the brine will cool down to prepare the product for salting. Carefully wash the fish, blot excess moisture with a paper towel or napkin. Remove the insides and cut into medium pieces, the thickness of which is no more than 4-5 cm;
- Pieces of mackerel folded into a glass jar, suitable volume of 1.5 liters. In the cooled brine pour vinegar and stir, pour the mixture with the mixture and leave for a day in the refrigerator. After the specified time, the semi-finished product for canapés and sandwiches or the most delicious self-made snack will be ready..
Recipe for salting mackerel slices in a spicy brine
Spicy pickle for fish is almost no different from the classic, but it uses a large number of spices. Along with the classic spices (black and fragrant pepper) unobtrusive spicy taste and aroma of mackerel give cloves and onions.
For spicy salted mackerel pieces, you need to take:
- 600 g of mackerel;
- 300 ml of purified drinking water;
- 60 ml of unscented vegetable oil;
- 50 ml of vinegar;
- 50 g of salt;
- 150 g onions;
- 5 leaves of laurel;
- 5 black peppercorns;
- 5 peas allspice;
- 3 carnation buds.
It will take 48 hours to cook the fish in this brine, but the duration of the preparation of the fish and the brine will not differ from the previous (no more than 30 minutes).
Since salt and spices do not have calories, their amount will not affect the caloric content of the finished product, but vegetable oil will slightly increase the energy value to 222.0 kcal per 100 g.
Algorithm of actions:
- As in the previous recipe, first prepare the brine. Pour salt in water, pour in vegetable oil, add spices and boil. Then the solution should be cooled and only after its complete cooling add vegetable oil;
- In fish carcasses, cut off the heads and fins. With a sharp knife make a cut along the abdomen, and remove the insides. Rinse the fish well under running water, cut it into medium-sized pieces after drying;
- Onions peeled, washed and cut into rings, the thickness of which is 1-1.5 cm;
- In a glass jar or food container, fold the rows of mackerel and onion rings in rows, pour over all the brine. First, let the fish stand for 2-3 hours at room temperature, and then put in the fridge for two days..
Secrets of experienced chefs
The process of making salted mackerel at home begins in the store with a selection of fish. Fresh or frozen fish is suitable for salting. If you use an frozen product, you need to defrost it properly. Defrost would be correct without sudden temperature changes on the shelf of the lower refrigerator.
Carcasses for salting should be light gray and with a dark back. The abdomen should not be yellow or swollen. Eyes should be bulging and not cloudy. Mackerel should not have too pronounced fish flavor. It should be subtle and unobtrusive..
For salting mackerel in brine with pieces, only dishes that are not susceptible to oxidation (glass or enameled) are suitable..
Some recipes suggest using plastic containers (for example, a wide bottle with a cut neck), but the brine is quite an aggressive substance, and no one can guarantee that when it interacts with plastic, no harmful compounds are formed. Therefore, it is better not to use such dishes..
Experienced chefs do not recommend using iodized salt for salting, in their opinion, it can spoil the appearance of the finished product. Since iodine is enough in saltwater fish, the use of regular table salt for salting is quite justified..
Mackerel, salted at home, should be stored only in the refrigerator. Shelf life is not more than 5 days. Such fish should not be stored in the freezer, because after defrosting the meat fibers will become soft and watery..
Salted mackerel goes well with potato dishes, it can be one of the ingredients in the preparation of sandwiches, canapes and sandwiches. It can also replace the usual salted herring in the “Herring under a fur coat” salad, making it tastier and more appetizing..