Kefir is a fermented milk product. Its composition is unique and includes fungi and bacteria. With the help of kefir can have a beneficial effect on the bowels and metabolic activity. It contributes to the proper absorption of calcium and the weakening of allergic reactions..
The leaven for the drink and the drink itself can be made by yourself. As a basis for the leaven use:
- sour cream;
- pharmacy leaven (for example, Narine and bifidobacteria).
What is milk fungus
Milk (kefir) mushroom looks like white balls, reaching up to 6 cm. In fact, it is a symbiotic group, which includes bacteria and microorganisms of the Zoogley genus..
Milk mushroom helps to strengthen the body’s defenses, supports its work. It can have positive effects in the presence of injuries, and also helps to reduce inflammation. When used, it improves memory and concentration, cures gastrointestinal diseases, increases the level of libido..
Get dairy mushroom from “nothing” will not work. Initially, you have to borrow or purchase a certain number of live bacteria that could grow in favorable conditions. If you already have such bacteria, then to get kefir you need to act as follows:
- Prepare a glass container in advance, a frequent plastic sieve with small holes (in contact with metal objects the fungus is ill);
- When everything is ready, it is necessary to pour the mushroom (2 tablespoons in volume) with milk (0.5 l) and remove it to the place without sunlight, covering it with a thick layer of gauze that protects from litter, but passes oxygen (a full fermentation cycle requires about 24 hours);
- Strain the kefir with a sieve and a wooden spoon (mushrooms, if possible, do not cling);
- Rinse the mushroom without removing it from the sieve with running water, using hands to get rid of mucus and other surpluses (density, whiteness and elongation of the bodies tells about the health of the product);
- Place the mushroom in a new clean container, re-fill with milk (if some calves emerge, they can be thrown out, they can no longer perform their function) and cover with gauze.
The fungus grows well in all types of milk, be it from a cow, a goat or a sheep. The speed of its development is directly related to the fat content of the environment in which it will be.
In the absence of new milk for pouring, it can be stored in the yogurt formed by it in the refrigerator for two more days (then it will “die”). In other cases, wash the fungus and milk should be changed daily. If the product turns brown, it is spoiled..
Also do not forget that for washing the packaging, which will contain the fungus, you can not use detergents.
|milk –||1 liter|
|kefir –||0.3 l|
|Time for preparing: 720 minutes||Calories per 100 grams: 61 Kcal|
The recipe is really simple, and housewives and young mothers who have not yet gained experience use it with pleasure. The ready kefir is used as a basis for fermentation..
- Boil milk, cool (it is not necessary that it becomes cold, it is better to be warm);
- Catch milk through cheesecloth into a clean container (you need to remove the film and foam)
- Mix boiled milk and kefir;
- Let the mixture stand for half a day in a warm place, then put it in the fridge..
When buying kefir for this recipe, make sure that it is made from yeast on kefir mushrooms (this must be indicated on the package), otherwise the reaction will not go.
How to make a starter for baby kefir
It is desirable (which is quite logical) to make a leaven for baby kefir from purchased baby kefir. Pick one that your child likes, and use it as a base..
- baby yogurt – 2 tablespoons;
- milk – 200 ml.
Cooking time: 1 day.
Caloric content: 62 kcal.
- Boil milk, strain, mix with kefir and leave for 24 hours;
- After the specified time, you can independently make a drink using the resulting starter: combine boiled and cooled milk (200 ml) and a billet (100 l);
- After 10 hours, everything is ready for use.
Live sourdough for homemade yogurt
In this case, bifidobacteria are used to prepare the starter. This option is especially recommended by pediatricians..
- milk – 200 ml;
- Bifidobacteria – 1 bottle (5 doses);
- sour cream – 30 g.
Cooking time: 2-3 hours.
Caloric content: 83 kcal.
- Milk, boil and cool to 40 ° C;
- Add bifidobacteria and sour cream, mix everything very carefully;
- Insist about two or three hours in a warm place;
Method of cooking kefir
To make a drink from a prepared blank, you need:
- Mix a glass of boiled milk (chilled) and a tablespoon of sourdough;
- Maintain the mixture at room temperature for half a day;
- Remove the ready kefir in the refrigerator;
- Store no more than 3 days.
How to store fermented milk sourdough?
- jar under the leaven can not be washed with detergents, but must be sterilized with boiling water;
- when using a fungus, it is necessary to make its daily feeding, so that it does not die (200 ml of milk for 2 teaspoons of bacteria);
- ferment can not be mixed with sugar, it is only suitable for ready-made kefir.
The best option for preserving the yeast starter is to place it in the freezer. Alternatively, you can use the refrigerator, but then the shelf life of the product is reduced by about 1.5 times.