Tom Yam is the most favorite Thai soup and a popular Thai dish in the world. Its taste, sharp with a sourish specific tinge, pleasant aroma, which is based on ginger and lemongrass, has driven many gourmets of Asian cuisine crazy.
Types of Tom Yam Soup:
- Kung – with the addition of shrimp. The most common soup among tourists;
- Paa or Pla – with the addition of fish. Before the emergence of mass tourism in Thailand, this type of Tom Yam was the most popular since fish is considered the most affordable product in the country;
- Guy or Kai – with the addition of chicken meat;
- Thale is a type of dish made on the basis of a sea cocktail: mussels, shrimps, mussels, scallops and pieces of sea fish, and sometimes even oysters;
- Khon – compared to the rest is a new species. The main components are shrimp and coconut milk. The last component is added almost before turning off the finished soup;
- Kung Maphrao Nam Khon – also cooked with shrimps and coconut milk, but also add pieces of coconut pulp;
- Ka Mu – cooked on the basis of pork shank. This type of dish is known for the longest cooking process..
|water –||1.5 liters|
|shrimp –||15 pieces.|
|chicken or mushroom cube –||1 PC.|
|lemongras –||2 stalks|
|dry basil –||2-3 pinches|
|green onions –||stem|
|fresh ginger –||10 small slices|
|sugar –||5 g|
|bow –||0.5 pcs.|
|lime juice –||7 tbsp. l.|
|oyster mushrooms –||4 things.|
|ready fish sauce –||7 tbsp. l|
|a tomato –||1 PC.|
|chili paste –||4 tsp|
|coconut milk –||12 tbsp. l.|
|Time for preparing: 40 minutes||Calories per 100 grams: 126 Kcal|
Before you start cooking a traditional Thai dish Tom Yam at home, you should say that its technological process is quite simple, so even a “teapot” in the cooking world can cook it.
- Coarsely chop all the vegetables so that they do not become porridge during the heat treatment process;
- Lemongrass, you must first stretch your hands, and then cut into pieces of 5 cm in length;
- Oyster mushroom chopped into long pieces;
- Chop green onions 3 cm long;
- Shrimp peel;
- Pour the liquid into the pan and wait for the boil;
- Throw ginger and lemongrass;
- After a minute, add onions, fish sauce, granulated sugar and champignons;
- A minute later, put chili paste, tomato, coconut milk, lime juice;
- Then throw the shrimp and remove the pan from the heat;
- Close the lid and allow the soup to steam for three minutes..
Ready Tom Yam pour hot on plates, sprinkle with basil and green onions.
Another, but more simplified version of Kung soup, the preparation of which will be mastered by any hostess..
- parsley – 30 g;
- chicken broth – 420 ml;
- sugar – 10 g;
- Ginger – 10 g;
- oil – 65 ml;
- garlic cloves – 5 pcs .;
- mushrooms or oyster mushrooms – 110 g;
- lemon peel – 7 g;
- chili pepper – 2 pcs .;
- coconut milk – 2 tbsp. or 400 ml;
- shrimp – 460 g;
- lemon juice – 20 ml.
Time spent cooking: less than half an hour.
The number of calories: 130 kcal.
- Cut the garlic into plates;
- Chilli is separated from the seeds and cut into rings;
- Fry the garlic in vegetable oil. Put in a small bowl;
- In the same oil until browning fry the pepper;
- Mix both ingredients and grind using a food processor;
- Put back into the pan and fry for a few seconds;
- With a fine grater, rub the lemon zest, so that the white bitter part remains on the fruit;
- Squeeze juice from lemon;
- Ginger finely grate;
- Add to the pan to garlic and pepper, sugar, zest, lemon juice and ginger;
- Stew ingredients until smooth;
- The resulting paste will be the main cooking sauce Tom Yam;
- Pour coconut milk;
- Enter the paste. Stir and bring the soup to a boil;
- Boil a lot for another 2 minutes while constantly stirring;
- Washed mushrooms coarsely chopped;
- Add the champignons with the shrimps and continue cooking for another 2 minutes. Salt if necessary;
- Ready Thai soup before serving decorate with parsley.
Thai soup using ready-made pasta Tom Yam
It’s no secret that in the supermarkets you can buy anything. Pepper paste for the preparation of traditional Thai soup, which greatly facilitates the already easy cooking process of the world famous “gastronomic hit”.
- chicken broth – 2 l;
- Tom Yam ready paste – 100 g;
- cilantro green – 50 g;
- lemon – 2 pcs .;
- coconut milk – 1 cup or 200 ml;
- ready fish sauce – 20 g;
- champignons or oyster mushrooms – 210 g;
- sugar – 10 g;
- 3-4 lime leaves;
- Lemongrass or lemongrass – 2 tbsp. l;
- shrimp (peeled) – 0.5 kg;
- Ginger – 35 g.
Time spent cooking: 30 minutes.
The number of calories: 293 kcal.
- In boiling chicken broth add chopped ginger, finely chopped lime leaves, lemongrass and cook the ingredients for no more than 5 minutes;
- Add pepper paste. To stir thoroughly;
- After 2 minutes, add sugar with fish sauce;
- In a few more minutes, add into the broth coarsely chopped mushrooms, shrimps, chopped chili peppers into small rings;
- Immediately pour coconut milk;
- Bring the soup to a boil again;
- Squeeze the juice of two lemons and sleep crushed cilantro greens;
- When soup boils, remove pan from heat.
Cooking Tom Yam Guy at Home
Like the previous version, the recipe is based on the use of ready-made pepper paste, only the chicken serves as the main ingredient..
- ready-made pepper paste – 4 tsp;
- champignons – 10 pcs .;
- lime juice – 20 ml;
- shrimp – 8 pcs .;
- sugar – 5 g;
- lemongrass – 3 stalks;
- water – 1, 5 l;
- ready fish sauce – 1 tbsp. l .;
Time spent cooking: a quarter of an hour.
The number of calories: 200 kcal.
- After boiling water in the saucepan add the pepper paste and mix;
- At the same stage, put sliced lemongrass;
- Finely chop the mushrooms;
- Peel the shrimp and cut the eggplant into thin straws;
- After the broth boils again add eggplant and mushrooms;
- Next enter the shrimp;
- After 3 minutes, add fish sauce and sugar;
- Boil the soup until the sugar is completely dissolved;
- Remove the pan. Throw crushed cilantro and close the lid.
If the recipe used coconut milk, it must be entered after removing the soup from the stove.
According to Thai traditions, Tom Yam is served with rice in a small bowl. Ingredient replaces bread and dulls the sharpness of the dish.
So, what is included in the recipe of a classic dish, and what domestic ingredients can you replace them:
- Lemongrass, which at home can be replaced by lemongrass;
- galangal – you can use ginger. However, it is necessary to increase the amount by 2 times;
- chili paste – red pepper;
- Nam Prik – garlic;
- lime – green lemon;
- straw mushrooms – mushrooms or oyster mushrooms;
- chili – instead of fresh, you can use dried;
- Kaffir leaves – lemon peel or lime;
- fish sauce – can be replaced with ready oyster.
Enjoy your meal!