Georgian cuisine dishes are famous for their unique aroma, taste and refinement. Lobio is a traditional dish of Georgia, it is made from different types of beans with various additives..
Georgian style lobio is always made from a special kind of beans, after which the dish itself is named. Before cooking lobio, you need to choose the right beans. There are several signs of a quality product that you need to pay attention to:
- in no case should there be a whitish plaque on the beans;
- beans should be glossy and smooth;
- all beans are about the same size;
- there can be no dark spots on the beans, which indicates the beginning of the rotting of the product;
- there should be no foreign objects in the package (stones, garbage).
|beans –||500 grams|
|carrots –||3 medium|
|vegetable oil –||50 milliliters|
|walnuts –||1 cup|
|tomato paste –||3 tablespoons|
|greens (always with cilantro and basil) –||1 bundle|
|adjika (spice, not sauce) –||1 teaspoon|
|garlic –||4 teeth|
|salt, spices (hops-suneli, red pepper) –||taste|
|Time for preparing: 360 minutes||Calories per 100 grams: 196 Kcal|
It is recommended to use red beans for cooking lobio, as this variety is more fleshy and goes well with meat..
- Start cooking lobio with soaking beans. This process, unfortunately, cannot be avoided. But first you need to sort it out and separate the quality beans, clean from unnecessary impurities;
- We place the beans in a container and fill it with water at the rate of 1: 2, that is, there must be more water than beans, since the beans are very active in absorbing water;
- Soak everything for the night;
- In the morning, put the pot of beans on a low heat and bring the contents to a boil. It is very important to do this as smoothly as possible without increasing the fire;
- Cook the beans for 1.5-2 hours until soft;
- Peel the onion and cut into small cubes;
- We clean the carrots and cut them into thin strips;
- Greens are washed, dried and chopped;
- Garlic is passed through a special press or finely chopped with a knife;
- Put vegetables, garlic, adjika, tomato paste and greens into the pot with the finished beans, add salt and season to taste;
- Cook lobio on low heat for another 5-7 minutes and at the very end add chopped walnuts.
Lobio is ready – it can be served at the table, both hot and cold.
How to cook lobio in a slow cooker
This recipe differs from the others in that lobio is obtained rich, thick as a cream soup. Cooking in a slow cooker has a positive effect on its taste and saves time..
- 2 cups red beans;
- 2 medium onions;
- 2 fleshy, juicy tomatoes;
- 4 cloves of garlic;
- 25 grams of salt or to taste;
- half chili;
- cilantro, parsley, hops-suneli.
Cooking time: 60 minutes (and 2-3 hours for the preparation and cooking of beans).
Caloric content: 182 Kcal / 100 grams.
Start cooking lobio should be with the preparation of beans. In this case, the multicooker will help us, as we will soak the beans in it.
- At the bottom of the bowl multicooker put the whole beans and pour cold water. Small beans need to be soaked for 2 to 3 hours, and larger ones for 5-6 hours;
- Drain the water, again pour cold water so that it covers the beans to 6-7 centimeters;
- We turn on the button “Quenching” and we torment everything 1.5-2 hours depending on the size of the beans;
- As soon as there is 50-60 minutes left until the end of the cycle, you need to prepare vegetables
- To do this, peel the onion and cut it into small cubes;
- Garlic is freed from the skin and finely chopped with a knife or skipped through a special press. You can also crush the garlic in a mortar;
- Tomatoes are peeled and diced;
- The mixture of vegetables is placed in the pan with a small amount of butter and simmer until soft;
- At the very end of the quenching add all the spices and seasonings: hops-suneli, pepper, salt;
- Half an hour before the end of cooking the beans, add vegetables to the slow cooker and cook until the end;
- Lobio is almost done. At this stage, add garlic, add some salt and season with finely chopped greens..
Lobio in Georgian in a slow cooker is ready – it remains nice and tasty to serve it to the table.
Green Bean Dish
Another kind of lobio, but already made of green string beans. The dish has an unusual, incomparable taste because of the main ingredient..
Green beans are very refreshing and make the dish easy, but nourishing..
- 500 grams of green beans;
- 1 large onion;
- 3 ripe meaty tomatoes;
- half a lemon;
- 1 teaspoon of hop-suneli;
- 5 sprigs of cilantro dill and parsley;
- 1 hot red chili pepper;
- vegetable oil, salt.
Cooking time: 30 minutes.
Caloric content: 172 Kcal / 100 grams.
- First, you must properly prepare green beans for cooking. Cut off the tips of each pod and cut it into 2-3 pieces. To save time, you can do it with several pods at once;
- Boil the pods for 15 minutes in salted water until soft;
- Meanwhile, peel the onions, chop them randomly and fry in a small amount of vegetable oil until a transparent color appears;
- Pound garlic, hops-suneli, cilantro, dill and parsley and salt in a mortar;
- We pour the tomatoes with boiling water, and then immediately immerse them under very cold water in order to easily remove the skin from the fruit. Cut the tomatoes into cubes;
- Add tomatoes and pounded spices with garlic in a pan with soft onions and stew all together for another 10 minutes;
- Beans are placed on a sieve, let it drain all the water. Put the beans in a frying pan with stewed vegetables;
- Mix lobio and simmer another 5-7 minutes;
- Lemon placed under hot water to better get out the juice, and squeeze half a lemon;
- Add lemon juice and red chilli pepper at the very end of the lobio preparation and give the dish a little brew, then serve to the table.
Recipe for lobio with meat in Georgian
Georgian cuisine has more than fifty kinds of lobio, but the most tasty and popular is lobio with meat. Different types of beans are used in its preparation: red, pods, asparagus and white..
- 200 grams of beef brisket;
- 500 grams of white beans;
- 1.5 liters of cold water;
- 5 celery stalks;
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro;
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro;
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil;
- 1 pod of red chili;
- 3 cloves of garlic;
- 2 onions;
- salt to taste.
Cooking time: 50 minutes.
Caloric content: 212 Kcal / 100 grams.
- Prepare the beans. First you need to rinse, sort and put in a saucepan;
- Fill the beans with cold water and slowly begin to heat over low heat. As soon as the water boils, cook for another 25 minutes;
- At this stage, you need to drain the water and put everything in a dry frying pan and put on low heat. From the beans should leave all the liquid and moisture. It takes 20 minutes;
- Add cold water so that it slightly covers the beans, and cook everything to a soft state;
- Beef brisket is placed in a pan with hot, salted water and cook for 40-60 minutes until cooked;
- Peel the onion and dice it. Add to the beans;
- Garlic peeled and chopped. Add it with spices to the beans;
- We release chili pepper from bitter seeds, cut only the flesh and put in lobio;
- At the end of cooking, add the beef brisket cut into strips and simmer the dish for another 10 minutes..
The result should not be a mushy mass, but well-boiled beans with vegetables. Therefore, the cooking time must be varied depending on the type of beans..
Culinary cooking and serving tips
Lobio is simple enough to cook, if you know and follow some subtleties:
- Cooking time may vary due to the type of beans, so you need to constantly check the readiness of the beans and taste the dish;
- In some areas of Georgia, lobio is ground (pounded as mashed), the beans are left in whole or mixed mashed potatoes and whole beans;
- Walnuts are present in the classic recipe, but if you have meat or tomatoes in lobio, then the nuts will be inappropriate;
- Served lobio of Georgian beans both hot (hot) and cold as a snack.
Enjoy your meal!