Khashlama is a Caucasian dish. This is boiled whole meat that is stewed with vegetables. Mainly for it is used lamb. After cooking, it turns out very tender, juicy, and vegetables give it extra flavor and juice.
General information about the Caucasian dish
Khashlama (from Armenian “hashel” is translated as meat cooked in a piece) is a stew in a cauldron or stewpan, with the addition of a variety of vegetables, which are arranged in layers. This treat is quite ancient, so it is not known where exactly it came to our table, many Eastern people consider it their traditional treat. But classical khashlama still belongs to Armenian cuisine..
Now Khashlama is prepared with the addition of the following products:
- any greens (parsley, celery, dill);
- various seasonings.
But the main and indispensable component of this dish is meat. A large amount of meat is used for cooking, and mostly only the pulp..
The following types of meat products can be used for Hashlama:
- pork. This type of meat is used quite rarely, because in the process of long extinguishing it simply dries..
So, how to make khashlama yourself at home? Consider a few recipes for making this delicious oriental food treat..
|lamb –||one and a half kilogram|
|fresh tomatoes –||kilogram|
|sweet pepper –||2 pieces|
|various greens (dill, celery, parsley) –||3 bundles|
|seasonings –||at its discretion|
|of beer –||700-1000 ml|
|Time for preparing: 180 minutes||Calories per 100 grams: 280 Kcal|
Go to cooking:
- For preparation it is better to use the back leg. Cut off all the pulp, wash and remove the entire film;
- Cut the flesh into medium pieces. The bone should be cut into two or three parts, it should also be used for cooking;
- We lay bones on the bottom of the cauldron, lay the pieces of flesh on top;
- Meat salt, seasoned with spices, sprinkle with black pepper;
- Greens are washed, shaken and dried;
- We spread bunches on top of the meat right in the whole form;
- We wash the sweet pepper, cut it into two parts, clean the seeds. Cut into medium pieces;
- Put the pepper on top of the greens;
- Wash tomatoes, pour hot water;
- Next, remove the skin from the tomatoes, cut the pulp into circles and spread them on top of the pepper;
- We fill all with beer, it should occupy two thirds of a capacity of a cauldron;
- Place the container with all the components on the fire, light the middle fire and leave to stew for about 2 hours;
- After that, lay the meat with vegetables on a large plate and serve on the table.
Recipe for lamb khashlama in Georgian
For the preparation we will need the following:
- lamb brisket with cartilage;
- garlic – 4-5 cloves;
- bunch of parsley;
- bunch of dill;
- carrot – 1 piece;
- onion – 1 piece;
- parsley root and celery;
- Lavrushka – 3 leaves;
- some salt;
- seasoning at your discretion.
The cooking time is about 4 hours, the caloric value per 100 grams is 380 kcal..
- To begin with, the mutton breast is washed, cleaned of films;
- It is better to cut it with an ax or a large knife into medium slices, it is desirable that there is a bone on each piece;
- All the meat pieces are laid out in a cauldron, filled with water and set on the stove. Boil on low heat;
- After boiling, be sure to remove the foam from the surface;
- Parsley and celery roots are washed, cleaned and cut into small pieces;
- Wash my carrots, scrape off the surface of the skin, dirt and cut into circles;
- Peel the onions, chop them into cubes;
- Rinse parsley and dill, shake and dry;
- Put the sprigs of greens on top of the meat. Further we fall asleep all cut components;
- All add some salt, season with spices, lay out a lavrushka, close the lid;
- Leave to stew on low heat for 4 hours;
- After that, pour the whole broth into a separate container, remove the onion, lavrushka, celery root and greens;
- Put the finished meat on a large dish;
- Garlic cloves peel cleaned, pass them through the press;
- Fill the garlic with half a glass of broth and pour this mixture into the meat;
- We spread vegetables and greens to the lamb and serve it on the table.
How to cook lamb khashlama in a slow cooker
What components will be required for cooking:
- 850 grams of mutton;
- carrot – 3 pieces;
- 500 grams of eggplant;
- three onions;
- sweet pepper – 3 pieces;
- medium sized tomatoes – 3 pieces;
- 5 cloves of garlic;
- 7-8 medium sized fresh mushrooms;
- three bunches of greens – parsley, cilantro, dill;
- seasoning at your discretion;
- bay leaf – 4 pieces.
The cooking process will take about 4 hours, the caloric content per 100 grams will be 412 kcal.
- To begin with, the vegetables are washed, cleaned and processed properly;
- After that, cut the onion into quarters or half rings, lay it on the bottom of the cauldron;
- Shred carrots in the form of thin circles, spread on top of onions;
- Meat washed under cool water, cleaned of films;
- Cut the meat into large chunks. It is desirable that the meat was with a bone, it will give the dish an additional flavor;
- We spread the meat on a pillow of vegetables;
- Sprinkle everything with salt;
- Sweet pepper is cut into large strips, spread on top of the meat;
- Eggplant cut into quarters or thin rings, spread on top of the pepper;
- Mushrooms need to cut into thin plates, lay them on top of eggplant;
- Pour the tomatoes for a few minutes with hot water, then peel off the skins;
- Cut the pulp into circles and lay out the last layer;
- Garlic cloves clean, chop thin slices and spread on tomatoes, sprinkle everything with spices;
- Select the mode of “quenching”, select the time of 3 hours;
- In the process of cooking the components do not need to be mixed;
- After the beep, all you need to mix, put on a large flat plate;
- Sprinkle with chopped greens and serve..
Mutton Khashlama with potatoes, eggplants and beer
For cooking will need the following:
- potatoes – one and a half kilograms;
- a kilo of potatoes;
- kilogram of tomatoes;
- 4 eggplants;
- sweet pepper – 6 pieces;
- kilogram of onions;
- 5 garlic cloves;
- a glass of light beer;
- a bunch of basil;
- cilantro – 6 branches;
- salt to your taste;
- seasoning at your discretion.
The cooking period will be about 4 hours, calorie per 100 grams – 420 kcal.
- We wash the tomatoes, cut them into quarters and lay them on the bottom of the cauldron;
- Peel two sweet peppers from seeds, cut into small straws. Spread to the tomatoes;
- The third part of the onion is cleaned and cut into cubes, spread to the vegetables;
- Meat washed, cleaned of films, cut into small pieces;
- Half meat to vegetables;
- Season with salt, seasoning;
- Wash greens, chop into small pieces and spread half to the meat;
- Further, all the components are also laid out in layers and do not forget to salt and season with spices;
- Potatoes cleaned from the skin, washed;
- We spread the whole tubers on top of all layers;
- Fill all with beer, set on a small fire. Leave to stew for 3-4 hours;
- Before serving, we mix all the components. We spread on a large plate and serve khashlama on the table.
- if meat with bone is used for cooking, it may not be cut into pieces;
- All vegetables must be laid out in layers;
- for cooking, you can use carrots, peppers, eggplants, tomatoes;
- the ratio of meat and vegetables should be 1: 3.
Lamb Khashlama is a great treat for the holidays, as well as for the daily menu. This dish will appreciate all your family members, especially the strong half. But to make it really tasty, be sure to follow the entire cooking recipe.