Cornmeal flatbreads are traditional in many cuisines – for example, Georgian and Mexican, and for sure this is no accident. There are many recipes for this dish, but they are all similar to each other, and there are also a lot of options for eating flat cakes.
They can be served on the table as a substitute for wheat bread, wrapped in various fillings, and also used as a snack, etc. With all this, corn tortillas are prepared very easily and quickly, but they always turn out to be extremely tasty and always appetizing..
Name and origin
Each national cuisine has not only its own way of making flat cakes, but also their name. For example, in Mexican cuisine these corn products are called tortillas, preparing many traditional dishes from them – tacos, nachos, enchilada, quesadilla, etc. In the Mexican home kitchen, tortillas are even thrown into soups for thickening, breaking them into pieces..
In Dagestan, corn tortillas are called muari, in India it is corn pita, and in Bulgaria – pyrlenok. This dish is also very popular in Georgia – often mchadi (and the so-called cornmeal flatbreads among Georgians) are served as bread for main courses.
And initially corn as a grain crop came to our continent from America, where for many centuries it was the main one and was used to make bread and many other dishes. But, fortunately, over time, all the nations of the world have mastered and loved corn..
|wholemeal corn flour –||2 glasses|
|boiled water –||1 cup|
|baking powder (or soda) –||pinch|
|Time for preparing: 30 minutes||Calories per 100 grams: 170 Kcal|
Traditional Georgian lentils mchadi are very useful and tasty dish, which is sometimes baked in the oven, but more often just fried in a pan.
Georgian mchadis are preparing primitively – and in the original ancient recipe there is not even a baking powder – so absolutely everyone can make them..
You just need to take and mix the flour with water, salt and soda and knead the dough.
And then with your hands to form from the dough, which will turn out to be moist, flat cakes and spread them on a hot, dry frying pan.
Mchadi are fried under a lid before browning on both sides and served on the table still hot – it is especially tasty to eat them with cheese (for example, suluguni or cheese).
Georgian tortillas with cheese
Corn dishes with cheese are always incredibly aromatic and tasty, so this recipe must be tested in practice by all housewives..
- 3 cups of cornmeal;
- 1 cup wheat flour;
- hot and cold water – how much dough will take;
- 150 gr. sour cream (preferably fatty homemade);
- 2 cloves of garlic;
- 100 gr. white cheese;
- a pinch of salt;
- a pinch of red pepper;
- 1 tbsp. spoon of sunflower oil;
- piece of lard.
Cooking time: about an hour.
Caloric content: about 270 Kcal / 100 gr.
To prepare the dish, you first need to brew the corn flour – pour it into a bowl, mix with a small amount of boiling water and leave for 20 minutes, covered with a lid or cling film.
When the flour swells, you will need to add salt and about a spoonful of vegetable oil (preferably unrefined), and then pour a little more cold water and gradually add wheat flour to the dough. Dough is ready.
Now you need to prepare the sauce, which the cakes will be greased after baking. For this, cheese is rubbed on a grater (or ground with a fork) and mixed with sour cream and garlic.
Since the cheese is salty, the sauce will only pepper, but if you want, you can add more chopped greens to it – for example, cilantro or dill.
The finished dough should be divided into small pieces, roll each in corn flour and roll into cakes, which will remain in the pan fry on each side.
But this has its own nuance – if you add vegetable oil to the pan, the products will begin to roast, but it is necessary that they be baked. Therefore, the pan greased grease.
Floured tortillas will be greased with sauce and put in a slit on a plate.
Corn tortillas on kefir in the oven
If there is no time or desire to mess around with cooking flatbreads in a pan, you can bake them in the oven. But to make them tasty, you need kefir dough.
- 2 cups of cornmeal;
- 1 cup of kefir;
- 2 medium eggs;
- baking powder bag;
- a pinch of salt;
- vegetable oil – for greasing the pan;
- sesame or poppy – to taste.
Preparation time: about 40 minutes.
Caloric content: about 230 Kcal / 100 gr.
To prepare the dish, you need to mix cornmeal with kefir, eggs, salt and baking powder. Sometimes it may be necessary to add a little more flour, but the dough should be moist and dense so that the cakes can be molded from it..
Then they need to put on an oiled baking sheet and sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds, and then send in a preheated 180 degree oven for 20 minutes. If desired, these cakes can be made and sweet, pouring a small amount of sugar into the dough.
To even such a simple dish as corn tortillas turn out perfect, you need to follow certain recommendations that are exactly the same uncomplicated:
- If the cornmeal dough turned out to be too wet, and the cakes are molded with difficulty, you can wait a little for the flour to swell better and continue;
- If the dough from coarse flour turned out loose, and the cakes fall apart in the process of modeling, you can add to the dough a small amount of wheat flour;
- If for some reason the corn dough remains unspent, it should not be thrown into the trash – it is perfectly preserved in the freezer;
- For cooking, you can use corn flour of any grinding, but the most delicious cakes, as a rule, are obtained from fine flour of the highest grade;
- Usually corn tortillas are perfectly removed, but if this does not happen, then you can lightly grease the pan with vegetable oil or a piece of lard;
- Flapjacks can be eaten cold as well, but they are tastier when hot, so you should warm them before eating – in the oven, in the microwave or in a pan;
- Corn tortillas can be an excellent hearty breakfast, if you dip them in omelette mixture and fry in a pan in refined vegetable oil.
Enjoy your meal!