Gratin, translated from French, means roasting. The variety of French gratin is impressive, because in the world you can find a large number of recipes with various ingredients. The main ingredient is potatoes. Experienced chefs advise you to use the best potatoes for cooking gratin.
Potato gratin is a very simple and tasty dish that is served in the best restaurants in France. Potato gratin can be served on the table as a separate dish or with a side dish.
There are several methods of cooking: in a pan, in a saucepan or a slow cooker.
Housewives who want to quickly cook gratin can use not the oven for cooking, but a regular stove. To prepare all the ingredients are placed in a deep pan, which is covered with a lid. Cooking best on moderate heat.
Gratin cooked in a slow cooker turns out very juicy and tender..
The basis of the dish is potatoes, which combine perfectly with other ingredients. The dish can be cooked with cheese, with meat or vegetables. The main rule is to stew with cream and sprinkle with hard cheese..
|potatoes (better to use young) –||1 kg|
|cheese –||200 g|
|garlic –||3 cloves|
|cream –||0.2 liters|
|butter –||for form lubrication|
|salt and pepper –||taste|
|Time for preparing: 90 minutes||Calories per 100 grams: 247 Kcal|
Potato gratin is an excellent dish that is very easy to cook. All listed ingredients can be purchased at the supermarket.
- Take a small saucepan, pour the cream into it, add a pinch of nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix thoroughly and put on low heat. During cooking, the mass must be stirred. As soon as the mass boils, remove from the heat and cool;
- Wash the potatoes, peel and cut into thin slices. If you have a special grater for potatoes, it is better to grate even slices on it;
- Peel and chop the garlic. If there is a garlic press, it is better to chop the garlic in it;
- Prepare a baking dish. Grease the bottom of the form with butter. Lay out potato slices in layers. Each layer is watered creamy mass. Place in the oven and cook for 40 minutes;
- Chop grated cheese. After 40 minutes, get the gratin from the oven and sprinkle plenty of cheese. Return to the oven and continue cooking until golden brown (no more than 10 minutes);
- Remove the cooked dish from the oven and serve hot on the table..
Potato and fish gratin
This is a great recipe for cooking from simple ingredients. Preparing is very simple.
- 700 grams of potatoes;
- 4 cloves of garlic;
- thawed fish;
- salt and pepper.
Cooking time – 1 hour.
Calories – 265 kcal per 100 grams.
- Take the form in which the grat will be prepared. Peel the garlic and rub well the bottom of the mold;
- Peel potatoes and cut into slices, like chips. Wash the potatoes do not need. Lay sliced potatoes evenly on the bottom of the form and pour the cream. Season with a small amount of nutmeg. Add salt and pepper to taste. Put the whole potato in the same way in layers;
- Turn on the oven and place the dish in the oven for 30 minutes. After a specified time to get the dish out of the oven and put the fish fillets. Pour the cream over the fish and continue to bake in the oven for 15 minutes;
- Sprinkle fresh herbs on the table before serving..
Gratin with minced meat and cheese
This is an interesting cooking recipe that every hostess will like. It turns out a very satisfying dish..
- 1 kg of potatoes;
- 700 grams of minced meat;
- 1 liter of milk;
- 1 tbsp. sour cream;
- salt and pepper;
- 3 cloves of garlic;
- 1 onion;
- 250 g of hard cheese;
- 1 cup flour.
Cooking time – 1 hour 30 minutes.
Calorie – 305 calories per 100 grams.
- Start cooking with potatoes. It needs to be washed well and remove the peel. Cut into thin slices, shift into a deep bowl and cover with water. Let the potato still be drawn in water;
- Take a frying pan, put mince into it and fry on low heat with oil.
- Peel the onions and chop them into small cubes. Add to mince and mix well. Season with salt and pepper and fry until ready;
- Take a deep bowl and pour milk into it. Add, constantly stirring, one glass of flour. Add a spoonful of sour cream and mix thoroughly. It should make a thick homogeneous mass. Season the dressing with nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste. The sauce for the dish is ready;
- Take a baking dish and smear the garlic on the bottom. Put the first layer of minced meat. Put potato slices on mince. Pour over cooked sauce and sprinkle with grated cheese;
- Cook in the oven for 40 minutes. It turns out unusually tasty dish.
Gratin with minced meat, mushrooms and cheese in a slow cooker
This is a very tasty dish that can be cooked on a festive table. Even the beginning hostess will cope with preparation.
Ingredients for dishes:
- 1 kg of potatoes;
- 600 g minced meat;
- 300 g of mushrooms (it is better to use champignons)
- 1 onion;
- 3 chicken eggs;
- 350 grams of cheese;
- salt and pepper;
- olive oil.
It takes 1 hour to prepare.
Calorie – 373 calories per 100 grams.
- Rinse the mushrooms well and cut into thin slices. Peel the onions and cut them into thin cubes. Pour chopped onion and mushrooms into the pan and fry until fully cooked with olive oil;
- In another pan, fry the meat until fully cooked. Mince salt and pepper to taste.
- Wash the potatoes, remove the peel and cut into thin slices. Pour water into a deep bowl and place the chopped potatoes in it. Add chicken eggs to the potatoes and mix well. Potato slices should be in the egg.
- Take a bowl of the slow cooker and coat with olive oil. Place ½ part of the potato on the bottom and put it to cook. For cooking, it is better to use the “quenching” mode. After 20 minutes, put the stuffing and cook for 10 minutes. After a specified time, put the mushrooms and the remaining potatoes.
- 15 minutes before being ready to sprinkle with cheese. It turns out very nourishing, aromatic and tasty dish..
Tips for a note
- Unusual gratin is made with cheddar cheese. For cooking it is necessary to use only hard cheese..
- If you do not like nutmeg, then you can not add it to the sauce.
- The sauce is best cooked with medium-fat cream.
- For cooking it is better to take new potatoes or which are not boiled soft during cooking..
- If you are planning to prepare a dish on a festive table, you can use special pots for baking one portion. It turns out very beautiful serving and tasty dish. Before serving to guests in a pot, you can decorate it with a sprig of fresh greens..
- During cooking, do not save on seasonings and garlic. Gratin should be very fragrant. You can buy special seasonings for cooking gratin, which use the best chefs in France.
- The finished dish can be served with fresh herbs or a light summer salad. To prepare the salad is best to use tomato, cucumber and pepper. Dress up salad oil.
- If you are cooking a classic potato gratin in the oven, you must cover it with a lid. Thanks to this, the dish will be tender and fragrant. To get a golden crust, the dish must be opened 15-20 minutes before full readiness..
Enjoy your meal!