People far from the history of cooking, used to think that stew is a dish, but in fact, it is a way of cooking meat, fish, poultry and vegetables. The essence of the method lies in the fact that all the ingredients are cut into small pieces, first fried, and then stewed in a thick sauce.
Translated from the French word “stew” means “whet the appetite.” And such a name for dishes prepared in this way is quite justified, since the tastes and aromas of meat and vegetables during stewing in a sauce are miraculously combined together, filling the finished dish with a divine symphony of taste..
Beef has a pleasant sweetish taste. It contains many vitamins, minerals and amino acids. This is not fatty meat, and if it is also properly cooked, it turns out juicy and soft. One way to make beef properly is to make a stew out of it..
There are a myriad of recipes for this dish. It’s impossible to tell about all of them in one article, but you can dwell on the most popular ones: the traditional recipe, stews with vegetables and potatoes, with gravy, with eggplants and zucchini in a pot, with mushrooms in a slow cooker.
|beef pulp –||800 grams|
|carrots –||2 large|
|tomatoes –||4 pieces|
|bulbs –||1 piece|
|celery stalk –||2 pieces|
|garlic –||2 teeth|
|flour –||4 tablespoons|
|vegetable oil –||2 tablespoons|
|water or beef broth –||500 ml|
|red wine –||150 ml|
|salt, pepper, bay leaf –||taste|
|Time for preparing: 240 minutes||Calories per 100 grams: 125 Kcal|
Traditional beef stew is a hit of British cuisine, and it is cooked long enough. But, despite this drawback, there are positive moments: the dish does not require constant attention during cooking..
Stages of work:
- Prepare meat, cut into pieces, roll in flour and fry in vegetable oil;
- Remove the meat on a plate and fry the onion, carrot, garlic and celery on the same oil until soft;
- Then return the meat to the pot, add the tomatoes and wine, let it boil a little;
- In the next stage, pour in broth or water, salt, spices, and send the stew in the oven, preheated to 160 degrees for 3-4 hours.
Beef Stew with Vegetables and Potatoes
This dish is an excellent option for a hearty lunch or dinner. Meat with potatoes in comfort in a sauce that has absorbed the juices of other vegetables, can give gastronomic bliss. Vegetables and their proportions can be changed to your liking and depending on the stock in the fridge..
- 500 grams of beef;
- 500 grams of potatoes;
- 200 grams of onions;
- 200 grams of carrots;
- 200 grams of bell pepper;
- 200 grams of tomatoes;
- 200 grams of zucchini (or young zucchini);
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste;
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil;
- 1 bunch of fresh greens;
- salt and spices.
The time it takes to prepare the dish, 1.5-2 hours.
Caloric content: 113.2 kcal / 100 grams.
- Fry sliced beef in vegetable oil until golden brown;
- Add chopped onions and carrots to meat, simmer for 5 minutes;
- Then add chopped Bulgarian pepper, stew for another 3 minutes;
- Introduce tomato paste and simmer it with vegetables for 5-10 minutes;
- Peel the rest of the vegetables and cut them into medium-sized pieces, put everything into a pot with thick walls of a suitable size, lay the meat on top with stewed vegetables;
- Add 2 cups of water to the pan and simmer for 40 minutes under a closed lid after boiling;
- A few minutes before cooking, add salt, herbs and other spices..
Beef stew with gravy
The thickness of the stew can be different: it can be similar to the main course or thick soup. Due to the fact that during the preparation of tasty and nourishing gravy, the dish with a more liquid texture will add new flavors to the garnish (porridge or mashed potatoes).
For a stew with nourishing gravy you will need:
- 1 kg of beef;
- 2 bulb bulbs;
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil;
- 4 tablespoons of flour;
- 3 tablespoons of tomato paste;
- salt and pepper to taste.
Cooking time will be about 2 hours..
Calorie content of 228.6 kilocalories per 100 grams of prepared stew.
Stages of cooking:
- Fry prepared and sliced beef on all sides on a tablespoon of vegetable oil in a frying pan with a thick bottom;
- In the other pan, in the remaining vegetable oil, fry diced onion with flour until golden brown;
- When the onion is roasted, shift it to the meat, add water and simmer under a lid over low heat until the meat is cooked;
- To the prepared meat add tomato paste, salt and pepper. Simmer another 10 minutes, after which the dish can be served.
Vegetable stew with beef, eggplant and zucchini in a pot
Even before the invention of the multicooker, there was a way to preserve the maximum of useful substances during their preparation. This is a stove oven in sealed clay pots. Dishes from pots differ from those prepared in the usual way not only in the content of vitamins, but also in taste. You can see this by cooking beef stew.
Ingredients required in the cooking process:
- 500 grams of beef;
- 300 grams of potatoes;
- 500 grams of white cabbage;
- 1 piece each: eggplant, zucchini, onion, carrot, bell pepper, tomato;
- salt, pepper and dry herbs – to taste.
Preparation time: 30 minutes to prepare the vegetables and fill the pots with them, and 1 hour to bake the stew in the oven.
Caloric content: 107.3 kcal / 100 grams.
- Wash beef cleaned of lived and films, cut into slices;
- Wash vegetables, peel and cut into slices too;
- Put the meat on the bottom of 6 pots, add salt, pepper and sprinkle with herbs;
- Put the vegetables in layers in the following order: onions, tomatoes, cabbage, eggplants, carrots, peppers, zucchini, potatoes;
- Top with a little salt and sprinkle with spices. Send closed pots to the oven for an hour. Roasting temperature – 220 degrees.
Stew with meat and mushrooms in a slow cooker
Cooking stews in such a miracle of technology as a slow cooker has several advantages. First, the cooking time is almost halved. Secondly, this method of cooking helps to preserve the majority of useful substances contained in meat and vegetables..
For this dish, two basic modes of operation of the multicooker are used: “Quenching” and “Baking”. When using the “Stewing” option, you can make stews in your own juice of meat and vegetables, without adding water. In the “Baking” mode, it is impossible to do without topping up the water, since the liquid will evaporate very quickly and there is a risk that the dish will burn.
For a recipe with mushrooms will need the following products:
- 400 grams of beef tenderloin;
- 300 grams of fresh mushrooms;
- 1 bulb onion;
- 3 large potatoes;
- 2 medium tomatoes;
- 1 bell pepper;
- 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise;
- salt and spices to taste.
The time spent is no more than 1.5 hours..
Calorie dishes – 171.4 kcal / 100 grams.
Algorithm of actions:
- Prepared meat, mushrooms and onions cut into pieces and simmer for 15 minutes;
- Meanwhile, peel and chop the potatoes, peppers and tomatoes;
- After a quarter of an hour in a slow cooker lay the potatoes and peppers;
- Mix chopped tomatoes and mayonnaise, pour ¼ cup of water;
- The resulting sauce pour the stew, salt, add spices and simmer for about an hour.
Squash and eggplant are laid in the stew at the very last, because they require less time to prepare. If you put them at the same time with all the vegetables, they will simply boil out and turn the stew into porridge.
Before you send the eggplant to the rest of the ingredients, they need to get rid of bitterness. To do this, peeled and sliced eggplants need to sprinkle with salt and let stand 10 minutes. Then rinse them under running cold running water, and only after that send stew.
If tomatoes are part of the stew, then before laying in the dish it is better to remove the skin from them. It will be easy to do if you pour boiling water over them..
In order to prevent the pieces of meat from sticking together, they need to be first rolled in flour and fried. It will also create more complex taste sensations..
To make the meat more soft and juicy, it can be pre-marinated in wine or sparkling water with the addition of lemon juice (for 1 liter of water the juice of half a lemon).
You can pickle meat in any dish, except for the one in which it will come into contact with metal, so that beef will not get an unpleasant aftertaste during marinating.
Beef for stew is cut into standard cubes with sides of 2.5 centimeters.
Vegetables for stew can be cut in any way and size, but still, you should not cut them too small. Medium pieces, slightly smaller pieces of meat, will look organic and quickly quenched..