Recently, housewives began to learn new dishes from other national cuisines and unfairly forgot many of the tasty and healthy dishes of the native cuisine. So many barley porridge was forgotten, the use of which was appreciated even by Japanese nutritionists, who called it porridge of beauty because of the large amount of useful substances in it..
Of course, one can argue that it will not be difficult to find more delicious and equally healthy dishes. But if someone considers pearl barley not a tasty meal, it only means that this person simply does not know how to cook it. How to cook barley porridge with meat in a frying pan, in an oven and a slow cooker will be described below..
|pearl barley –||160g|
|pork pulp –||200 g|
|onions –||100 g|
|vegetable oil –||30 ml|
|salt –||5 g|
|black pepper and other spices –||taste|
|Time for preparing: 65 minutes||Calories per 100 grams: 265 Kcal|
Barley porridge, of course, will never be able to claim a place on the holiday table, besides many people associate it with a kindergarten, army or medical institution, where it can be found in the menu.
But a tasty cooked barley per classic recipe with meat can erase unpleasant associations from memory and become a hearty meal in a balanced daily diet..
Algorithm for cooking barley porridge with meat:
- The secret of delicious barley porridge lies in soaking the grits. It should be filled with water and left overnight (at least 8-10 hours). The exceptions are quick-cooking cereals, which are usually sold packaged in portion packs;
- Pre-soaked cereal boil in boiling water, spending on this process 25 minutes;
- In the meantime, pour a small amount of vegetable oil into a frying pan with high sides (high necessarily is a very important moment), and when it warms fry small pieces of pork pulp on it;
- For grilled meat, add shredded onions. Fry it until it is transparent, then add carrots chopped into strips and stew all together;
- From the finished barley, drain the water and put it into the pan to the meat and vegetables, add salt and spices to taste, pour purified drinking water so that it covers the porridge on top, cover and roast for about half an hour until the moisture completely evaporates.
How to cook barley porridge with meat in a pot in the oven
Barley porridge, cooked in pots in the oven, is incredibly tender and crumbly. This is due to the fact that it is not cooked, but languish, enveloped in heat from all sides, and absorbs all the juices of meat and vegetables.
To prepare oven-stewed pearl barley you need:
- 200 g of pearl barley;
- 250 grams of meat (beef or pork);
- 100 g onions;
- 100 g carrots;
- 50 ml of tomato juice;
- 40 ml of vegetable oil;
- 25 grams of garlic;
- salt and spices to taste.
The time it takes for this option of cooking barley porridge will be within 90-120 minutes.
The caloric value of 100 grams of food from the pot is 104 kilocalories..
- Pre-soaked cereals dry well and fry in a dry frying pan to a beautiful golden color;
- In another pan, fry the meat in heated oil, then fry the onion with it, and after the onion add the third ingredient – carrots, chopped using a coarse grater. It takes 5-7 minutes to fry each product;
- 15-20 minutes after the start of roasting the meat, pour tomato juice into the pan, add salt, spices and garlic passed through the press. Stew everything under the lid closed for another 5 minutes;
- In ceramic pots put fried barley and meat with vegetables from the pan. Each pot must be filled a little more than half;
- Add water to each pot so that it does not reach the top by 2-3 cm. Mix the contents with a spoon and send to the oven;
- First, porridge should spend in the oven for half an hour at a temperature of 200 degrees, and then the temperature should be lowered to 180 degrees and brass the pots for another 1 hour;
- After a specified time, the porridge will be ready, but if time allows, it can be left for some time in the oven turned off. So she absorbs all the flavors of meat and vegetables.
How to cook in a slow cooker
The two previous recipes told how to cook a delicious crumbly barley porridge with meat in the usual way on the stove and in ceramic pots in the oven. But there is another way – cooking barley in a slow cooker. Below is a detailed step-by-step instruction for the Redmond multicooker..
To cook this dish, using the capabilities of a modern kitchen gadget, you need to take:
- 200 g of pearl barley;
- 200 g pork tenderloin;
- 150 g onions;
- 150 g carrots;
- 150 grams of red bell pepper;
- 65-70 ml of vegetable oil;
- salt and spices to taste.
Cooking time – about 3.5 hours.
Caloric content of 100 g of the finished dish is equal to 237.4 kcal.
How to cook barley porridge with meat in a slow cooker:
- At the bottom of the bowl of the multicooker, pour in vegetable oil, put crushed onions, carrots and peppers on it. Enable the mode “Frying”. For the Redmond multicooker, its duration is 18 minutes. This must be taken into account when cooking dishes in devices from other manufacturers;
- After half a cycle of the established program, add meat cut into small pieces to vegetables, mix everything well with a spatula for a slow cooker or an ordinary wooden one;
- Rinse the pearl barley under running water until the latter is completely transparent, and as soon as the “Frying” mode ends, transfer the rump to the slow cooker and pour 300 ml of water;
- Further cooking will take place in the mode “Delayed Start”. This mode will replace the soaking of cereals and help reduce the time of cooking porridge. The delayed start is 2 hours;
- In the menu of the control panel, you need to select the program “Rice / cereals” and set it to manual duration – 1 hour, since the time specified by the program will not be enough to make barley. In the absence of such a program, it can be replaced by the program “Quenching”;
- In the middle of the cooking cycle, you can gently open the multicooker lid, mix its contents and, if necessary, add water (50-100 ml). After the final beep, the porridge will be ready..
The pledge of tasty crumbly pearl barley porridge – pre-soaking cereals. In water, the grain should spend at least 2 hours, and ideally 12 hours. Therefore, deciding to cook this dish, you can immerse the barley in the water in the evening, and the next day to cook. The soaked cereal must also be washed well, so that the water in which it was made becomes transparent..
Give the finished porridge a beautiful color will be able to such a spice as a curcum. It must be added quite a bit at the very end of cooking..
Meat for barley porridge you can take absolutely anyone: chicken, pork, beef, and even lamb. But the fatter the meat is, the tastier will be the cereal.