Pearl barley is one of the most affordable and beneficial among its varieties. And porridge made from these grains is a hearty meal, saturating the body with an entire arsenal of essential vitamins..
A bit of history
Even in the times of Ancient Russia, pearl barley was loved and respected. Not only was it consumed daily, the festive table was rarely without dishes based on these cores..
But nowadays, on the contrary, pearl barley dishes are extremely rare. After all, we are used to the fact that such porridge is associated with the time of service in the ranks of the state army.
Undoubtedly, many familiar servicemen complained that army chefs spoiled them with other drugs only on holidays, and that was not always the case. This state of affairs is very regrettable, because pearl barley is a storehouse of life-giving trace elements and vitamins..
Such positive properties are required to bring this cereal to a new popular level, especially in our era of prosperity of preservatives, GMOs, stabilizers and harmful food additives, which, of course, bring only harm to the body..
Often such porridge is cooked by cooking on a conventional gas stove. And the time required for this process depends on the age of the grains. Accordingly, the older the croup, the procedure will take more minutes, on average, approximately from half an hour to one and a half hours..
And with the development of scientific progress, the preparation of this dish has become even easier, because the slow cooker is able to do everything by itself, as soon as the products are loaded into it. Do not be afraid to experiment with ingredients and see for yourself that such porridge is insanely tasty..
|Pearl barley –||1 measuring cup|
|Water –||2 glasses|
|Butter –||for refueling|
|Spices and seasonings –||by personal preference|
|Time for preparing: 60 minutes||Calories per 100 grams: 109 Kcal|
- Before starting the preparation of pearl barley, it is necessary to sort out, to separate good grains from unsuitable and various garbage. Next, wash the kernel under cold running water and soak for several hours. If possible, it is better to leave it in this form at night. But if so much waiting time is missing, then you can do without soaking;
- It will not hurt to lightly oil the bowl of the multicooker, and send the prepared barley there. Next – two measures of water;
- The electric sorceress is turned on and the “Porridge” mode is selected, and the time is set to 60 minutes;
- After the coveted signal, the multicooker is opened, an almost ready dish is seasoned to taste and mixed thoroughly;
- Food can be left in this wonderful technique for insisting or immediately serve to the table.
How to cook barley porridge with meat
- Favorite type of meat in the amount of 350-400 g;
- Pearl barley – 2 dimensional containers;
- Water – 5 dimensional containers;
- 2 onions;
- One medium root carrot;
- Sunflower oil;
- Spices – for need.
Cooking time: one and a half hours.
Calorie content depends on the type of meat chosen, per 100 g of the finished dish:
- From pork – 130 kcal;
- Of poultry – 90 kcal;
- Veal – 180 kcal.
Stages of cooking:
- First of all, the meat should be cleaned of possible films and veins and cut into small cubes;
- Onions and carrots must be cleaned of husks and skins, thoroughly washed and minced in any way;
- Now the turn of barley grains. By the method of sorting over the grits, it is important to get rid of debris and wash several times under running water;
- When the preparatory procedures are finished, you can proceed to the preparation itself. Set the “Frying” mode to the multi-cooker, and set the timer to 15 minutes. The container in which the dish will be cooked should be smeared with a thin layer of vegetable oil. Then chopped meat is sent there and fried within a specified period of time;
- At the expiration of the allotted period, shredded vegetables are loaded into the bowl. Now on the timer – 10 minutes;
- The signal has sounded – the barley is filled up, filled with hot water and flavored with the necessary seasonings;
- The cover of the miracle-helpers is closed and the following task is set: “Baking” for 50 minutes;
- Wait until the desired signal, indicating the completion of the manipulation, mix everything well and leave it alone for 10 minutes.
Barley porridge with stew: cook in a slow cooker
To prepare this delicious concoction you will need:
- Barley – 2 cups;
- Stew – 1 can, about 500 grams;
- Onion medium size;
- Small carrots;
- 5 corresponding glasses of water;
- Frying oil;
- Favorite seasonings.
Cooking time: one and a half hours.
Caloric content of 100 g of finished porridge – 140 kcal.
Begin cooking with the preparation of cereals. First of all, it is extremely important to sort it out, thereby separating good grains from unnecessary garbage. Then be sure to rinse thoroughly, preferably under running water. To make porridge a lot softer, if desired, you can soak the barley for a couple of hours or even for the whole night..
Well, the cereal is prepared. Now turn the vegetables that you first need to get rid of the upper contaminated layers and husks. Washed onions and carrots are crushed. Onion head cut or half rings, or medium cubes, and grater is perfect for root vegetables.
The cooking capacity of the multicooker is covered with cooking oil, and the chopped vegetables are immersed in it. Redmond’s magician include, setting the mode “Frying” for only 5-7 minutes.
When the contents of the bowl are stewed a little, the stew is also sent there. Next – prepared barley and the necessary amount of water, as well as seasonings and spices. The choice of mode depends on the type of multicooker. If there is such a task as “Porridge”, “Pilaf” or “Quenching”, then it is she who is chosen. In the absence of the above commands, the mode most similar to them is set. As for the time, 80 minutes is enough.
When the countdown timer ends, the porridge must be mixed and then let it sit for another 10 minutes..
How to cook barley porridge with mushrooms
- 1 measured capacity of pearl barley;
- 4 the same water capacity;
- 300 g of mushrooms;
- One large onion;
- Some vegetable oil;
- Spices – optional.
Cooking time: 60-70 minutes.
Caloric content: 55 kcal per 100 g.
Before starting the preparation, it is advisable to soak the cereal for a while from a couple of hours to the whole night. This procedure will allow the porridge to become softer and take less cooking time. However, if the time frame is present, then you can freely skip this item..
First, it is better to do all the preparatory procedures. Namely:
- Krupa out, rinse;
- Onion and mushrooms clean and cut in a suitable way, preferably half rings.
The mode for the Polaris multicooker is set to “Frying” or “Baking”, depending on availability. The bowl is covered with a thin layer of sunflower oil, and then chopped onion is poured into it. 10 minutes is enough to get them golden.
Then cut mushrooms are sent to the browned onions, and the whole is fried during the same time. Next, you need to load into the multicooker container the main ingredient – barley. It is also worth seasoning and pour all the water. The contents of the bowl are carefully altered and prepared in the “Quenching” mode 40-45 minutes.
How to cook milk barley porridge
For this you will need:
- A glass of barley grains;
- 3 glasses of water;
- Milk is also 3 glasses;
- 3 teaspoons of sugar;
- 1 teaspoon salt.
Cooking time: at least 3 hours.
Caloric content directly depends on the fat content of milk and can vary from 100 to 130 kcal per 100 g.
Rinse the grits thoroughly under running water, repeat the procedure several times until the water is clear. Be sure to let the barley stand in the water for at least a couple of hours..
The prepared ingredient is then sent to the bowl of an electric assistant, pour in milk and water, add granulated sugar and salt. Then the mixture is thoroughly mixed. They set the crock-pot mode for a whole hour. Further, they are just waiting for a sound signal indicating the completion of the selected program..
Now half-cooked milk barley must be mixed and then sent to prepare. But the “Quenching” program is already selected, and the time is 120 minutes. As soon as the cherished signal is heard, you can add butter, it is not necessary, especially at will. And, of course, the finished delicacy is left in peace for 10 minutes..
Suddenly, before the pearl barley was not used in cooking, then it is worth to discard the prejudice to it. You just need to cook something up with her at least once, and now everything is one of your favorite products..
Enjoy your meal!