A short cooking and oriental studies lesson in one article! Turkey, Crimea, Azerbaijan and Armenia – what binds all these countries? Baklava is a subtle sweetness that everyone can cook. The main thing is to follow the selected recipe exactly..
Baklava – art
However, Baklava wandered not only on culinary blogs and hostess notebooks: every eastern country has its own authentic variation of this delicacy..
Under the influence of modern culinary art, baklava, of course, is being modified – Canadians fell in love with baklava, poured with maple syrup, and the Americans – peanut butter.
However, no one dares to deviate from traditional recipes, because they possess a unique explosion of taste and a bouquet of aromas..
Baklava or 7 ways to conquer the East
Remember the phrase “East is a delicate matter”? Indeed, this expression is confirmed in everything: from the mentality of people to national cuisine.
We present to your attention the baklava recipes in variations of various eastern countries. Only in the process of cooking be extremely careful and always remember the wisdom of the people.
Traditional puff pastry baklava: a step by step recipe
Acquaintance with the eastern sweetness will be reasonable to start with a traditional, universal recipe. Classic international baklava is made from the following products:
- Wheat flour – 450 g;
- Creamy (non-spread) butter – 1½ packs;
- Ice water – 150 ml;
- Egg – 2 pcs .;
- Sugar – 2 tsp;
- Salt – to taste.
All of the above products – the basis of the dish – components of puff pastry. If you do not want to mess around with it, just stock up ready by purchasing it at the nearest grocery store. Cooking filling, pouring and decorating will not do without:
- Walnuts – 350 g;
- Butter – 350 g;
- Cinnamon – 1½ tsp;
- Vanilla – to taste;
- Thick honey – 250 g;
- Hot water – 150 ml;
- Halves of walnuts;
- Chicken eggs – 1 pc.
Cooking baklava takes a lot of time, but the result does not make you feel sad about the wasted power. On the contrary, you are likely to be involved in the process of cooking delicacies. Step-by-step recipe:
- Sift the pre-cooled flour and mix with cold oil, rubbed on a large grater;
- In chilled water, dissolve salt and sugar, here we mix the egg;
- Combine the liquid and flour part of the future basis for baklava in a homogeneous dough;
- We roll up with cling film and put it in the fridge;
- After 30-50 minutes we take out the semifinished product, dividing it into 4 equal parts, roll out the layers, which we lubricate with oil and spread over each other;
- Bend the resulting layer in half and roll out again;
- We divide the rolled layer into four and, having missed with oil, repeat the procedure of dividing in half;
- Repeat the procedure several times, eventually getting 4 layers;
- Crush nuts and combine with powder and sweet seasonings;
- Mix honey with hot water;
- Grease a baking sheet with oil and using a flour rubbed with a rolling pin we shift the layer of dough over the entire surface of the baking tray;
- Pour with melted butter and sprinkle with nut filling;
- Cover with a layer that we add oil and filling;
- Repeat the operation until the ingredients run out;
- We lash the edges and leave for a couple of tens of minutes;
- When time passes, the surface of the dish is greased with yolk, divided into portions, each of which is decorated with half a walnut;
- We send in the oven warmed to 200 degrees;
- After the first ten minutes of cooking, pour the dough with honey sauce;
- After another 20 minutes, remove the sweetness from the oven;
- We enjoy the dish!
Turkish Baklava Recipe
Forget about travel agencies, rather go to the kitchen and get ready to cook baklava with a Turkish recipe. We guarantee you will feel the full flavor of Turkish cuisine. To do this you will need:
- Flour – 1 kg;
- Chicken egg – 2 pcs .;
- Milk – 500 ml;
- Creamy (non-spread) butter – 100 g;
- Salt – to taste;
- Nuts – 600 g;
- Icing sugar – about 600 g;
- Cinnamon – 1 tsp;
- Ground cloves – to taste;
- Sugar – 500 g;
- Water – 500 ml;
- Egg yolk – 1 pc.
Recipe for cooking Turkish baklava:
- First, sift the flour, which add salt. In a container to form a hole in which to place the ingredients with a liquid structure – milk, egg and 50 grams of butter. Knead a soft and elastic dough, which should be wrapped with a film and cooled for half an hour;
- While the dough is resting, you can do chopping nuts. Mix them with powdered sugar, vanilla and cinnamon;
- Prepare syrup from sugar dissolved in hot water. Bringing sweet water to 100-degree temperature, boil for 15 minutes, thereby boiling down to the syrup. Remove the sweet mixture and cool;
- Divide the rested dough into 20 spherical molds;
- Roll one ball into a thin layer and lubricate with soft oil;
- Sprinkle three quarters of dough with nut filling;
- Take a chopstick and screw the dough on it, giving it the shape of a miniature croissant roll;
- Give the dough the shape of an accordion, remove from the sticks and fill the sides inwards;
- Repeat with the remaining balls;
- Lay the baklava balls on a baking sheet and fluff the yolk of the eggs, whipped with one tbsp. a spoonful of water;
- Send in the oven at a temperature of 200 degrees half Celsius. Bake no more than 10 minutes;
- Reduce the temperature by 30-40 degrees, get a baking sheet and smear each treat with liquid butter, return to the oven and bake for about an hour until the baklava is covered with a golden crust;
- At the end of the baking procedure, pour baklava with cold sweet sugar-water syrup and leave to cool and taste for 5-6 hours.
Such a confection as Armenian baklava is familiar to everyone. But unfortunately, not everyone knows the recipe. But you do not treat them? You do like to challenge yourself and treat your home with tasty foods, don’t you? Then write down the recipe.
Required ingredients include:
- Butter (non-spread) butter – 300 g;
- Sour cream – 300 g;
- Egg – 1 pc .;
- Wheat flour – 5.5 tbsp. spoons;
- Soda – 2/3 tsp;
- Walnut nuts – 2 glasses;
- Cinnamon – 2 tsp;
- Vanilla sugar, cardamom to taste;
- Sugar – 2 tbsp. spoon;
- Water – 225 ml;
- Honey – 75 ml;
- Yolk – 1 pc.
The sequence of actions to prepare the Armenian baklava:
- Prepare the dough by combining and thoroughly kneading sour cream, softened 200 grams of butter and eggs. Here we also add flour and soda. We get the dough, which, having divided into 4 parts, is wrapped in a plastic film;
- We divide the nuts into two parts, most of which we grind to obtain crumbs for the filling. Mix with sugar and spices;
- Roll out a quarter of the dough into a layer of dough 1 centimeter thick and lay it on a baking sheet, sprinkle with filling. Repeat the action with the remaining three parts of the test;
- We give the rolled dough the form of rhombic, while leaving the lower layer in integrity and security. We grease yolk and decorate with nuts;
- We heat the oven to 200 degrees, where for 15 minutes we send baklava;
- After this time, we get a treat, divide it finally and pour with melted butter;
- We’re going to the oven again: this time the dessert will have to endure a 45-minute baking;
- Cooking second honey pouring. Dissolving sugar in water, bring the mixture to a boil and boil until thick. We send honey to the received and slightly cooled syrup and knead;
- When the dish is ready, refresh the cuts and pour over the honeycomb rhombuses with honey and sugar sauce;
- Leave to soak for a few hours, and after, proceed to tea.
Love Azerbaijani cuisine or, on the contrary, have never conducted similar culinary experiments in your kitchen?
Then the recipe of delicacy with Azerbaijani notes was created especially for you:
- In 160 ml of milk, add 20 g of yeast and ½ teaspoon of salt. Add 2 eggs and 120 grams of melted margarine. 480 grams of flour mix with vanilla and, combining liquid and dry ingredients, knead the dough;
- Grind 400 grams of nuts with the same amount of sugar;
- Pour the baking sheet with paper, lubricate with oil and carry out similar procedures as in previous recipes;
- Grease each layer, laid out on a baking sheet, with oil and nut filling, cover with a layer of dough and again filling. Give the dough the form of rhombic and then cover with the beaten yolk. We decorate with walnuts;
- We bake in the oven for 30 minutes at 180 degrees;
- 50 grams of honey mixed with 150 milliliters of water and 1 teaspoon of sugar;
- Ten minutes before the oven informs you about the full cooking of the dish, we glaze the diamonds with honey sauce;
- Cool and serve tea.
Crimean beach honey baklava with nuts
If you have ever been to the Crimean coast at least once in your life, then you probably know the cries of pretty women “Baklava! Baklava! Baklava! ” Perhaps, on this dish you can find out the Crimean peninsula.
The sweetness causes genuine childish joy interspersed with memories of the noise of the surf and the gentle rays of the sun. Do not be discouraged if you are going to spend the summer far or the nearest vacation within the walls of the apartment.
The following recipe will deprive you of any boredom about the time spent on the Crimean beach.
The dish consists of:
- Milk – 250 ml;
- Cream (peasant) butter – 60 g;
- Sour cream – 50 ml;
- Soda – ¼ h. Spoons;
- Flour – 3,5-4 glasses;
- Sugar-sand – ½ kg;
- Waters – 200 ml;
- Honey – 2 teaspoons;
- Walnut nuts – handful;
- Refined vegetable oil – ½ liter.
In the first stage, melt the butter and mix with milk. In the butter-milk mixture, add and mix the sour cream and soda thoroughly..
Gradually add flour and knead the dough so that it resembles dough on dumplings in structure. Cover the base for the baklava and leave it for 15-20 minutes, then divide it into five-centimeter diameter balls.
After pouring flour over the work surface, roll out one unit of dough, making the millimeter thick layer a rectangular shape. Now roll the layer into a roll, forming a kind of “gateways”.
Wet the edges with some water so that it does not lose shape during frying. At an angle of 45 degrees cut the roll formed into two parts..
Make sure that the edges do not stick together! Slightly expand the left boats and chill off excess flour from them..
Fill a deep frying pan with vegetable oil and, lowering the baklava in them, fry until golden brown. Remove oil with paper napkins.
Do not forget to prepare syrup from mixed together and boiled sugar and water. Add honey to the mixture. In each sweet sauce, lower each cooled slice for half a minute-minute, and later sprinkle it with nuts..
Amazing Filo dough baklava
The peculiarity of this recipe in the test – it is called filo or exhaust. It is the basis that provides the airiness and the unique ease of dessert. We offer to master the technique of kneading dough with the parallel preparation of baklava from it..
Purchase the following ingredients:
- Flour – ½ kg;
- Salt – 1 tsp;
- Vegetable oil (normal) – 5-6 tbsp. spoons;
- Butter – 50 g.
These four ingredients can be replaced by purchased half a kilo dough filo.
For the syrup, you will need:
- Water – 1.5 cups;
- Sugar – 1.5 cups;
- Lemon juice – 1 tsp.
As purely dessert additives to the dough stock:
- Walnuts – 1.5 glasses.
The following sequence of actions will serve as a support for creating an air delicacy:
- First, you need to prepare the filling, because after kneading the dough, you can not hesitate for a minute. To do this, add sugar and lemon juice into the water, first bring the mixture to a boil, and then, over low heat, until thick. At the same stage, grind nuts;
- We start mixing the dough. Sift the flour twice, add salt and vegetable oil and gradually pour in warm water (1 cup of 35-degree temperature). Knead the dough with a wooden spoon. From steep dough you will save the gradual addition of water: 1 tablespoon;
- We shift a ball of dough on the table and knead it with hands without adding flour. Carefully beat off on the work surface a few dozen times. We place the dough in a sealed bag of polyethylene, tie the free end and immerse it in water with a temperature of 40 degrees for 10 minutes;
- We divide the dough into pieces the diameter of a tennis ball. Sprinkle the table with flour and stretch each part on it to a translucent state. Catching the remaining balls, you should cover the individual layers with a wet towel. Melt the butter, grease each plate with grease;
- On the baking sheet lay out two missed filo list and sprinkle with nuts. Now again a double layer of dough and nuts. Repeat until all the raw materials are over;
- Cut the dough into rectangles or diamonds, trying to leave the bottom layer intact;
- In an oven preheated to 180 degrees, we bake filho-baklava for 25 minutes. After the expiration date, lower the temperature by 20 degrees and continue to bake for the same period of time;
- Pulling the baklava out of the oven, rerun through the cuts, finally separating the dessert. Pour the molds into syrup;
- After 3-4 hours you can safely eat the fruit of your labors.!
Enjoy your meal!