This is a dessert that even everyday life can turn into a holiday – a light fluffy yeast dough saturated with syrup, a heady aroma of rum in each piece, a high shape, topped with a seductive sugar fudge. All this baba.
Of course, such pastries are not for beginner cooks, since both the preparation of ingredients and the kneading of dough require certain practical skills. But having plunged a bit into the history of this dessert, having studied all the cooking standards and secrets of experienced pastry chefs, everyone will be able to conquer this pastry Everest..
Baba is dried muffins made from sweet yeast dough, soaked in syrup and covered with sugar fondant.
The history of this dessert is associated with the name of the Polish king Stanislav Leshchinsky. According to one version, he dipped a dry Kuegeldorf cake with rum and the taste of baking in wine he liked so much that he decided to name this dish in honor of his favorite literary hero Ali Baba.
To a more familiar form, the recipe for a rum woman was finalized by a French critic and cook, Savarin in the eighteenth century. In his honor, they began to call the French version of this pastry from sweet yeast dough with raisins soaked in sweet syrup..
Despite the fact that the rum woman is more than three centuries old, it continues to be a “berry again” and has many admirers. The most popular recipe of this dessert is baking according to the GOST standards of the Soviet Union, but there are also author’s recipes (for example, from Yulia Vysotskaya) worthy of attention..
|Sahara –||330 g|
|water –||110 g|
|citric acid –||1.5 g|
|Time for preparing: 720 minutes||Calories per 100 grams: 296 Kcal|
Sweet (or icing) to cover rum baba according to GOST standards is prepared from sugar, water and citric acid. Mistresses only slightly reduce the number of ingredients, in proportion to the number of women.
Preparation step by step:
- In a skillet or saucepan, mix sugar with water, you need to try very hard so that as little as possible of the grains of sugar fall onto the walls of the dish;
- Put the mixture on high heat. The brew is brewed only on very high heat, so that the syrup does not darken as a result of the caramelization of sugar;
- Before the syrup boils, brush the grains of sugar from the walls of the saucepan (pan) with a brush dipped in water and cover it with a lid so that all the sugar from the walls is washed off;
- After boiling the mixture for a few minutes, pour in citric acid and continue cooking until a drop of syrup is rolled in cold water into a ball (test for a soft ball). If there is a kitchen thermometer, then you can do without a sample, just the temperature on the thermometer should be 117 degrees Celsius;
- Ready to cool the syrup quickly, putting the saucepan in a deep bowl with cold water and ice;
- When the temperature drops to 40 degrees, beat the mass with a hand whisk or a wooden spatula. Sweet will thicken and turn white;
- Cover the finished fudge with cling film and leave to ripen in the refrigerator. Before coating women melt melt in the microwave or in a water bath.
Baba according to GOST at home
This recipe belongs to the culinary heritage of the Soviet Union, it can be called the golden fund of confectioners of that time. And even now it is very difficult to find pastry shops in which such women are baked, but thanks to the preserved standards – GOST can be repeated in their own kitchen.
In the process of cooking this dessert, you need to prepare four of its components (dough for the dough, dough – the main batch, impregnation and sugar fudge), so it is logical to divide the list of necessary ingredients into four blocks:
- 5 g of dry high-speed (instant) yeast;
- 212 g of wheat flour;
- 147 g of water;
The main batch of dough:
- 82 g of melange (chicken eggs);
- 105 g of crystalline sugar;
- 103 g margarine or butter, the main condition – 82% fat;
- 3 g of salt;
- 2-3 drops of vanilla essence;
- 52 g of dark raisins;
- 200 g of flour;
- 240 g of drinking water;
- 240 g of fine granulated sugar;
- 20 ml of rum (cognac, dessert wine) or 2-3 drops of rum essence for fragrance;
- 500 g of sugar;
- 160 g of drinking purified water;
- 5 ml of lemon juice.
The process of baking a rum baba is a long way, so you need to be prepared for the dessert to be enjoyed only after 48 hours, after starting work.
Calorie baking, calculated per 100 g – 283.6 kcal.
Step by step algorithm for all actions:
- First you need to make a brew. Since instant yeasts are used, their prescription quantity should not be dissolved in water, but mixed with dry flour. Then, gradually pouring warm water, knead the soft, sticky dough. Transfer the dough into a greased bowl and leave to warm for 3-4 hours;
- Add ripened melange, sugar, vanilla essence, salt and flour to ripened dough. Knead the resulting dough for 2-3 minutes. After that, mix in very soft portions (but not liquid butter). The oil must be 82% fat, as stipulated by GOST, otherwise its amount will need to be recounted;
- Stir the dough thoroughly using French technology to a uniform consistency. To do this, you need to pick up the dough, pull it out, fold it in half, turn it over and repeat all the actions again;
- To the kneaded dough add steamed or soaked raisins and send for 60 minutes in the refrigerator. After an hour, mix the mass for one or two minutes and then remove for 60-90 minutes in the cold;
- After that, the finished dough divided into equal pieces (depending on the volume of the molds). Round each slice, hiding the raisins from the surface so that it does not burn in the oven;
- Transfer the pieces of dough into oiled molds. The dough should occupy 1/3 of the total volume of the molds. Leave the dough in forms until doubled in volume. It will take approximately 90 minutes;
- Before baking, very carefully, so that the blanks do not settle, grease them with a beaten egg. The temperature and time standards for baking according to GOST are respectively 210 degrees and 45 minutes, but you still need to focus on the appearance and the test for the dry torch;
- Ready women need to first cool a bit in the forms, and then remove and allow them to cool completely. After cooling down, flip the women upside down and choke for 4-8 hours (can be left overnight);
- For impregnation, boil sugar syrup and the same amount of water. When the sugar is completely dissolved and the mixture is boiled for 2-3 minutes, remove the impregnation from the heat, add a perfume, and cool to a warm state;
- Every woman from a narrow side in several places to pierce a toothpick and dip in a warm syrup for a time of 10 seconds. Then remove and turn the narrow side up;
- For fudge, mix sugar with water and cook over high heat until completely dissolved every sugar crystal. So that the sugar on the walls does not remain, you need to brush it off with a brush dipped in water, and then boil the syrup over the lid for 2-3 minutes so that the remaining crystals can wash off the condensate. Then add lemon juice and cook for another 5 minutes. Cool the prepared fudge in a container with cold water and whip with a wooden spatula until white;
- To zaglazirovat soaked women sugar fudge. After the glaze grabs, the women of rum are ready.
Baking option from Julia Vysotsky
Baking a rum baba according to the recipe from Julia Vysotskaya is not such a long and laborious process, as per GOST, but ready baking with its rich citrus aroma thanks to the liqueur Limoncello and coarsely grated lemon peel won over more than one heart of the dessert lover.
For the yeast dough basics of rum baba, you need to take:
- 10 chicken eggs;
- 45 g of crystalline sugar;
- 210 g butter;
- 14 g dry yeast;
- 10 ml of vanilla extract;
- 60 ml of Limoncello;
- 3 g of salt;
- 600 g flour.
For citrus syrup impregnation:
- 1500 ml of drinking water;
- 300 g of sugar;
- rind of one lemon;
- single orange peel.
To bake a rum baba soaked in a syrup with a citrus aroma will take not two days, as per GOST, but only 2 hours.
Calorie dessert – 280.3 kcal / 100 g.
Step-by-step recipe for rum baba from Julia Vysotskaya:
- Melt the butter and set aside to cool it a little;
- Combine salt and flour, mix well;
- In 60 ml of warm water with a pinch of sugar (5 g) dissolve the yeast, let them activate;
- Beat eggs with the remaining sugar with a mixer at high speed;
- Reduce the speed add vanilla extract and liquid butter;
- Replacing on the mixer (food processor) whisk on the nozzle for the dough and continue kneading, pouring half the amount of flour mixed with the dough;
- When the mass becomes homogeneous, pour out the active yeast, knead and add the remaining half of the flour;
- Cover the dish with dough with a towel soaked in hot water on top and leave for 20 minutes;
- After 20 minutes, put the dough into a greased cake pan and let it stand again for 20 minutes under a hot wet towel;
- Bake rum baba for about an hour in a hot oven. Put the finished baking in a deep dish and cool completely;
- For the impregnation, boil the syrup from water, sugar, coarsely grated lemon peel and orange. Sugar should be completely dissolved;
- Ready to cool the woman pour the strained syrup and Limoncello liqueur. Since the women will only take the amount of syrup that she needs, thanks to the deep form, the extra syrup will remain in it.
The amount of time required to prepare the brew depends on many factors: the temperature of the room where it stands, the activity of the yeast, the temperature of the water at which the dough is kneaded, the quality of the flour, and so on. But with all this, it is quite easy to determine its readiness, not focusing on time. Opara is ready when her center starts to fall.
For the rum baba, the process of kneading dough is of paramount importance. It will help the gluten to become as elastic as possible, which will fix the pores of the dough and help baking not to deform. Therefore, the first 10 minutes, the dough should be kneaded with a mixer with nozzles for dough, and when the mass becomes thick, knead for another 10 minutes.
You can make the taste of the finished products more saturated with rum, if the raisins are soaked overnight (8-12 hours) in rum. For this dessert, it is better to give preference to dark rum varieties that have been aged in charred oak barrels for more than three years..