Many housewives are happy to cook chicken liver for lunch and dinner for their households, because it is not only incredibly tasty and healthy, but also incredibly easy to prepare. Even with a little culinary experience, you can cook this delicate product..
A little practice, add to your culinary piggy bank with a dozen recipes for cooking liver. It can be baked, stewed, fried, and potatoes, cereals, pasta and vegetables can become a side dish – this unique product is perfectly combined with all the above..
Below you can learn about the secrets of cooking liver, and more about several ways of cooking.
How to choose a quality chicken liver
In order not to buy such a product, remember these simple rules:
- The first thing you should pay attention to is color. Only brown, with a slight burgundy hue. In no case do not purchase a purple or dark brown cookie – this product probably has long been on the store shelf. For the same reason, do not get a liver yellowish or pale in color. In addition, the yellow color of the internal organs of the bird may indicate that it was infected with salmonella, which can be transmitted to humans. Its symptoms are extremely unpleasant for the human body: weakness, headaches, diarrhea;
- On the surface of the ideal by-product should be a shiny film. The surface itself should be smooth and visually pleasing;
- Stuck liver often acquires a strong or slightly perceptible ammonia smell, so do not hesitate and check how it smells. The aroma should be sweetish;
- Carefully consider if there are visible blood vessels and blood clots on the bird. Also consider if you see green spots, this suggests that the gallbladder was damaged during the cutting of the bird and the liver will be very bitter;
- Of course, it is better to get a cooled liver, but if there is no such possibility, then the frozen liver should not be orange. This sign may tell you that it is frozen. Well, if the liver is covered with a thin layer of ice with no visible signs of repeated thawing and re-freezing. To defrost the byproduct, put it in the evening from the freezer in the fridge. This will preserve all tastes. Then rinse it thoroughly and remove the bile ducts.
|chicken liver –||half a kilo|
|bulbs –||1 PC.|
|sour cream –||four spoons|
|cream (fat) butter –||tablespoon|
|water –||half a cup|
|Time for preparing: 30 minutes||Calories per 100 grams: 128 Kcal|
If you have not tried this popular cooking method, correct this omission as soon as possible.!
Rinse the chicken by-product and cut it into small cubes of three to four centimeters in diameter..
During cooking, they will be slightly cooked, so do not chop too small. Remove all bile ducts and streaks.
Chop the onion and fry it in melted butter until smooth golden brown..
Add the liver to the pan and fry for two minutes. You do not need to achieve the effect of a crust, leave it pink and gray.
Pour in half a glass of water and add flour. Immediately stir to avoid lumps. Salt.
About three minutes extinguish the by-product, and then throw the sour cream to the contents of the pan and stir well, so that it covers the entire liver and mixed with the rest of the sauce..
Immediately turn off the gas and cover the dish with a lid. If this is not done, and leave to prepare the liver on an open fire, sour cream can curl up and you will not achieve the desired effect..
Leave the liver for 5 to 12 minutes. During this time, the sauce will grab, and the liver will soak up the delicate creamy taste of sour cream. Everything! You can now serve it with your favorite side dish..
The recipe for successful preparation of stewed chicken liver in a slow cooker
Now almost every hostess uses such a home assistant as a slow cooker. It significantly saves the time spent in the kitchen, and also allows you to save the taste and benefits of products..
Therefore, if you have this indispensable kitchen unit, feel free to try to cook the liver in it according to the following recipe.
For him you will need:
- A kilogram of chicken liver;
- One onion;
- A tablespoon of butter (non-spread) butter;
- Tablespoon flour;
- Half a liter of milk;
- Half a spoon of nutmeg;
- Spices to taste.
The fact is that the favorite recipe for cooking the liver in sour cream can not be repeated in a multicooker, because when heated sour cream will split. Therefore, sour cream is replaced by milk, and the taste is almost the same..
Wash the by-product and cut it into three to four centimeter slices..
On the “Frying” mode, fry the finely chopped onion in butter for five to six minutes..
Add the liver to the bowl and set the mode of “Quenching” or “Baking” for 20 minutes.
At this time in the pan you will need to prepare the sauce. To do this, melt the prepared butter, add flour to it and mix thoroughly to avoid any lumps. Now slowly pour in the milk and add the nutmeg. Mix well again and leave until the mass thickens slightly..
When the slow cooker has finished cooking, open it and pour in the sauce to the liver. Salt to taste. Now again put the mode “Quenching” and leave the dish for half an hour.
Recipe for the fried chicken liver in the pan
If you want a fried liver, then you should be very careful. If you overdo this tender product, it will turn into rubber. You need to fry it for two or three minutes, literally so that it grabs. Check the readiness, piercing it with a fork: if a clear juice, and not blood, is released, then the liver can already be consumed.
You will need:
- A pound of chicken liver;
- One onion;
- Two tablespoons of flour;
- 3 tablespoons of whole oil;
- Salt and pepper at the request of the cook.
Wash the liver and chop it into small pieces..
Cut the onion: you can rings, you can finely chop.
Pour the flour in a large plate and add three pinches of salt and two pinches of feathers to it. Mix well.
Each piece of liver carefully flour in flour, but do not allow the formation of flour clumps.
Pour the oil into the pan and wait until it gets warm over high heat. Throw the liver in a frying pan and fry it until it forms a crust for a couple of minutes on both sides.
Remove the offal on a plate and fry the onions in this oil until golden brown.
Place the liver on top again and cover with a lid. Sweat the dish for about ten minutes to simmer for full readiness..
How to make chicken liver pate
Probably every person at least once in his life tried a sandwich with a delicious liver pate. But the purchase of pate can not always meet all your needs for quality and composition. Therefore, there is nothing better than to try to cook it at home. Moreover, it is easier than it may seem.
To make chicken pate, take:
- 250 grams of chicken liver;
- 100 grams of butter (better, of course, home-made) butter;
- Three tablespoons of sunflower. oils;
- One carrot;
- One onion;
- Half a spoon of salt and black pepper.
Leave the oil at room temperature until it is soft..
Finely chop the onion and grate the carrots. Cook them for five to seven minutes..
Rinse the by-product thoroughly and cut into small pieces. Fry it in a pan for about five minutes.
Pass the liver and vegetables through a meat grinder and cool.
Add butter to the liver mass, pepper and salt. Mix well.
Put in the fridge for half an hour to grab the pate..
Everything! Now it can be added to tartlets or smeared on bread..
The secrets of cooking chicken liver
- Choose chilled chicken livers. Frozen will give a lot of juice and lose an appetizing soft crust;
- After you have washed the by-product, you can dry it by putting it on a paper towel. This will allow to achieve the very gentle, but delicious crust;
- It is better to salt the liver at the very end, so that it does not produce a lot of juice;
- Add the liver to the pan one by one. This trick will not allow the oil to lower the temperature, and the liver will quickly grab a ruddy crust;
- If your pan retains heat well and has a thick bottom, then after cooking, it is better to transfer the liver to another container, otherwise it will continue to prepare and may become stiff.
Enjoy your meal!