Beetroot is a very useful root crop from which you can prepare a lot of delicious dishes. But not everyone loves her taste and prefers to completely exclude from their diet. To prevent this from happening, and the person could get all the necessary vitamins and trace elements from beets, this vegetable can be baked in the oven, and not boiled. Why? This will be discussed below..
Why baked beets are better than boiled?
Most of the recipes, which include this juicy root vegetable, begin with the words “boil the beets.” In fact, boiled beets are not so good to taste, so most people immediately reject the idea to cook such dishes.
But there is one simple secret, how to make a dish much tastier, without making any effort and not complementing it with other ingredients: beets can be baked in the oven, and not boiled. It is in the baked form, it not only retains its beneficial properties, but also acquires a more rich and sweet taste..
Baked beets will be a great addition to such familiar dishes as borscht, herring under a fur coat or vinaigrette. Thanks to its rich sweet taste, any of the most ordinary food will be at times more appetizing. Among other things, there are a number of other advantages:
- When baking, the beets retain not only the taste, but also all the vitamins and other beneficial substances (during cooking, they evaporate);
- The baked brownie remains as intensely burgundy as it is fresh;
- The vegetable will not burn, as is often the case when cooking, when water evaporates;
- This cooking method is much cleaner, and the hostess will not have to clean up the kitchen after all..
How long does it take to bake beets? This is a fairly frequent question of cooks who have little experience. Now just remember! In order to bake this vegetable, it will take different times, because everything will depend on the size of the root. For example, the maximum cooking time will take up to 2 hours, even if the temperature is at least 200 °.
|Medium beets –||5 pieces.|
|Olive oil –||100 ml|
|Salt pepper –||to taste and desire|
|Time for preparing: 60 minutes||Calories per 100 grams: 47 Kcal|
Step by step preparation:
- Before you begin basic cooking, you must turn on the oven and heat it to 200 °;
- While the oven warms up, you can do beetroot: it must be washed in cold water, thoroughly cleaned from the ground and other dirt, but at the same time the skin should not be peeled off. Also, do not need to wipe it;
- Rub each beet with a small amount of olive oil (this will definitely prevent sticking to the foil, and also have a positive effect on the taste of the dish). If desired, you can sprinkle the roots with salt and pepper;
- Lay a wide baking sheet with foil for baking, put root crops on it, leaving a small distance between them (not less than 5 cm);
- On top of the vegetables are covered with another sheet of foil, and then carefully wrapped in it (you can wrap each beet separately in foil);
- Send the baking tray with the prepared root vegetables to the preheated oven for 55 minutes;
- As time passes, check the beets for softness with a knife or fork;
- If the vegetables are soft enough, they can be removed from the oven, but if not, you can slightly open the foil and sprinkle the vegetables with water (about 1 tbsp each), then bake in the oven for another 10 minutes.
How to bake a large root vegetable in the sleeve
You can bake this vegetable in various ways, including using the sleeve:
|What is necessary||How much to take|
|Salt pepper||At the discretion of|
The approximate cooking time is from 1.5 hours to 2 hours. The calorie content of this product will not exceed 44 kcal per 100 grams.
- The first thing you need to turn on the oven and heat it to 200 °;
- Now you can do beetroot, which you need to rinse very well, you can even use a brush or a sponge in this business in order to wash off all the dirt and sand from it;
- Wet root vegetables are stacked in a sleeve for baking, if necessary, they can be slightly salted or pepper, after which the sleeve is tightly tied on both sides;
- Put a baking sheet or a large baking dish with two layers of foil, put a beetroot sleeve on it, then cover it with two more layers of foil;
- Put the baking tray in the preheated oven for 1.5 hours, then take out the vegetables and check for readiness with a thin wooden stick (or a knife and fork);
- After the beets are ready, they must be removed from the oven and allowed to cool in the sleeve, after which they can be eaten or used in other dishes..
How to bake beets in salt on a baking sheet
One of the unusual ways to bake beets and get a delicious product is to cook it in salt..
|Medium beets||4 things|
|Sea salt||2 kg|
Such a dish is cooked for about 1 hour and 40 minutes, and its calorie content will be quite low – only 19 kcal per 100 grams.
How to bake:
- The first thing you need to very carefully wash the beets from all the pieces of dirt, after which it must be well dried (in this recipe, wet beets will not work);
- Sprigs of rosemary chopped into medium pieces;
- In a large bowl, add sea salt, mix it with chopped rosemary;
- Pour some of the salt and seasoning onto the bottom of the prepared baking dish;
- Put in the form of clean and dried beets, top to fill it with the remaining salt with rosemary (vegetables should completely “drown” in salt);
- Preheat oven to 180 °;
- After the specified time has passed, the beets can be taken out of the oven and carefully dug out of the salt;
- Vegetables are laid out on a plate, the tip is cut from them, and a piece of butter is put in its place..
How to bake vegetables for salad, borscht and other dishes
Oven-baked vegetables are not only a guarantee of a tasty dish, but also a healthy diet in general. But in order for vegetables to be really useful for such dishes, they need to be able to correctly bake. There are a number of mandatory rules:
- Both carrots and beets should be baked in their skins, that is, no need to peel vegetables;
- Before you put the products in the oven, they need to be washed very thoroughly;
- For baking, it is desirable to select products of the same size (or at least approximately the same). Due to this condition, the vegetables will be cooked almost simultaneously;
- In order to check the readiness of vegetables, it is desirable to use a thin and sharp object made of wood, for example, a toothpick;
- So that vegetables do not lose their juiciness, they must be cooked in deep forms for baking, in a sleeve or foil.
What can you cook
Baked beets can be used to prepare various dishes, for example, wholesome and nourishing salads. Consider their recipes..
Dish №1 – Garlic Salad
|Roasted Beets||6-7 pieces|
|Ground black pepper||Taste|
The preparation time of the salad will take only 15 minutes, however, baking the vegetable will take about 1.5 hours. The calorie content of such fat will be about 120 kcal per 100 grams.
Preparation step by step:
- Bake the beets in the oven;
- Meanwhile, grind nuts with a blender;
- Garlic skip through the press;
- Grind beetroot on a medium grater, mix it with nuts and garlic, add mayonnaise and serve..
Dish №2 – Salad with goat cheese and asparagus
|Baked Beet||3 pcs|
|Goat cheese||250 gr|
|Cherry tomatoes||150 gr|
|Green Asparagus (or Green Beans)||200 gr|
|Nuts (any)||1 handful|
|Olive oil||3 tbsp.|
|Red onion||1 PC|
|Balsamic vinegar||1 tbsp.|
Salad preparation time – maximum 20 minutes. Roasting vegetables – 1.5 hours. Calorie per 100 grams of food – 169 kcal.
- Root vegetables bake in the oven in any convenient way;
- Meanwhile, cut the onion into half-rings of medium size;
- Asparagus and cherry tomatoes are also cut into small pieces;
- In olive oil, fry onions, tomatoes and asparagus a little;
- Reduce heat to low, pour balsamic vinegar into the pan, cover and simmer vegetables for about 6 minutes;
- Cut beetroot into small cubes;
- Crumble goat cheese;
- In a deep bowl, mix all the ingredients, salt and pepper, add Provencal herbs and serve..
Beets before baking do not need to be cleaned. You should also not cut off her tail, otherwise all juice will evaporate from it, and then the vegetable will not be so juicy and tasty..
If a baked root vegetable is needed for cooking any dish, then it should be remembered that when baking it will lose up to 1/3 of its mass. This should be taken into account when calculating the amount of ingredients per dish..