Pearl barley is one of the most unusual, but very useful. Its use in the diet due to the presence of a large number of beneficial trace elements and vitamins necessary for the full body work.
Among the most significant and valuable note:
- vitamin b6;
- amino acid lysine.
Due to the high nutritional properties of pearl barley is used for both everyday and for diet, because it can reduce appetite. Its use triggers the formation of collagen, which has a beneficial effect on the skin and hair. Boiled pearl barley will help in the following cases:
- when you want to reduce or stabilize the weight;
- improve the work of the stomach and reduce the load on the digestive tract;
- get rid of the problem of constipation;
- to prevent fungal diseases;
- remove toxins and harmful substances accumulated in the body.
Also, pearl barley strengthens the immune system, making it used to fight or prevent colds. That is why the ability to cook this product is an important skill that every hostess should possess..
In order to properly weld the barley, you need to consider a few rules. Important conditions for success are to take into account that the grits are cooked for a long time, the cooking process varies slightly depending on what kind of dish you plan to cook. You should also take into account your own wishes, since such factors as crumbiness or viscosity of the finished product depend on it..
In the event that it is required to prepare a crumbly version, the cooking will be done as follows:
- You will need to take 1 glass of barley and 2.5 glasses of water;
- Put on medium heat;
Cooking time – 60 minutes.
Caloric content (100 g of barley porridge) – 109 kcal.
To make porridge viscous in consistency, you need to take 200 g of cereals and 1 liter of water. Cooking time increases to 90 minutes. A feature that can change the cooking time is the selected cookware. If it has a thick bottom, then it will take more time. You can cut it by pre-soaking the cereal in water (20-30 minutes before the main boiling).
How many barley is brewed without soaking
If there is no time to soak the pearl barley, the optimum cooking time is on average 75 minutes. It is difficult to calculate it accurately, because this indicator can be influenced by the variety of cereals, its age and size, the selected dishes..
Determining the readiness of cereals is easy – the grains must be swollen, increased in volume, soft, but not boiled soft. The cooking method will be as follows:
- Pearl barley is necessary to sort out before cooking, then rinse well 1-2 times;
- Pour into a container of water (2-3 glasses), put on medium heat;
- Wait until the water boils, then pour 200-250 g of barley;
- Boil the contents of the container on strong heat for no more than 3 minutes;
- Remove the liquid from the stove, pour clean water in the same quantity (2-3 glasses);
- Wait for boiling water, reduce heat to medium, cook until ready (50 minutes).
After cooking, cover the container with a lid, optionally putting oil on it. Leave to infuse for another 10 minutes before serving..
How much cereal is cooked with soaking
In order to cook pearl barley until fully cooked with soaking, it will take about 50 minutes. Sometimes (if the grains are large or a container with a thick bottom is used) the time can be increased to 60-65 minutes.
The cooking process is almost the same as without soaking, except that the grits are exposed to water before the first heat treatment..
How long does barley cook in soup and pickle
Often, pearl barley is used to prepare first courses – various soups, among which there is pickle. Here it is important to remember that for proper cooking you need to take into account which soup is supposed to be cooked, as the time for making barley directly depends on this.
So in the usual soup grits need to cook for at least 1 hour (as for porridge). It must be remembered that for the first dishes the process of pre-soaking barley is necessary. It takes 2-3 hours.
It is often recommended to add already cooked cereals to pickle, so the cooking time here is reduced to 10-20 minutes..
How to cook barley in a slow cooker, steamer, microwave and thermos
A modern housewife with many cooking concerns helps solve technical devices, such as a microwave, a slow cooker or a double boiler. In them it is convenient to cook and barley. For the same purpose, you can use a thermos. The cooking process will look like this:
- In a slow cooker – pour the cereal into the bowl, pour water, salt (1: 2 ratio), put on the “Cooking” or “Cereals” program for 50-70 minutes;
- In a double boiler – in the ratio of 1: 2, the cooking process continues 2 times for 30 minutes (it is recommended to soak the cereal beforehand, leaving it for 10 hours);
- In the microwave – soaked cereal is used for this purpose (it should swell for 2-3 hours), then a power equal to 400 W is set at a ratio of 1: 2, time will take 20 minutes;
- In a thermos – hot water is used for this purpose. It is important to remember that the amount of cereal should be equal to 1/3 of the capacity of the existing vessel, then the cooking process will be of high quality. The time it takes to do this is 1 hour..
It is important to remember that the cooking time may vary, so you should regularly check the grits for readiness..
In order for pearl barley to be tasty and soft, it is recommended to pre-wash it several times..
It is best to use warm water for soaking, then the process can be reduced to 1-2 hours..
You can calculate the cooking time by the time the cereal is made – the longer it is stored, the longer it will take for subsequent boiling.