A potato in its uniform is an unusually simple dish, familiar to us from childhood. It will be both an excellent side dish for meat, poultry, fish, and a tasty independent dish..
It is believed that the peel prevents the “washing out” of nutrients from the tuber during cooking, so this potato saves more nutrients and is good for health..
What kind of potatoes to choose?
But if you want to pamper yourself with a tasty potato, you want to, and for new potatoes it’s not a season, you should follow the following rules:
- Try to choose potatoes with reduced starch content – its skin is red or purple, the flesh resembles wax, tubers of small size and rounded shape;
- Also suitable varieties, the content of starch in the middle level. They are round or oval in shape; the flesh is yellowish;
- Starch-rich varieties (elongated tubers with white flesh and coarse skin) are completely undesirable for boiling in a uniform: such potatoes are likely to melt and the peel will crack;
- It is desirable that the roots were about the same size, the ready time will come at the same time;
- Try to choose a good, healthy root vegetables without damage, loose skin, slit eyes and areas of green color. Such spots indicate the exposure of potatoes to direct sunlight and the formation of solanine in it, which can cause intoxication in humans.
Preparation of potatoes for cooking
It’s very simple: you should wash the tubers thoroughly under running water, if you have severe damage, use a brush.
Young potatoes can be scraped with the blunt side of a knife.
Cooking on the stove: step by step instructions
So, let’s understand how to properly and how long to cook the potatoes in their skirt in the pan:
- Prepared potatoes put in a suitable saucepan;
- Pour water at room temperature so that the water level is 2-3 centimeters higher than the tubers;
- When boiling water can not salt, however, if it is important that the tubers are strong and elastic, it is better to add salt at the rate of 0.5 tsp. per liter of water to prevent cracking of the skin;
- Put the pan on the maximum fire, tightly close the lid;
- When the water starts to boil, reduce the power of the stove and leave the potatoes to boil for about twenty minutes;
- The readiness of a potato in uniform is determined by a knife or fork: if the device pierces the flesh and easily reaches the middle of the tuber, then the dish is ready;
- Drain the water in which the roots were boiled;
- If cooked potatoes are supposed to be used in salads, dip them for a short time in cold water. This will allow it to cool faster, and the peel is easier to remove. If the potatoes go for garnish, cool it a little in a saucepan under the lid, brush with butter;
- Serve sprinkled with black pepper, chopped greens and garnished with onion rings. Wonderfully combined potatoes in a uniform with lightly salted herring and sauerkraut.
Potato jacket in a pressure cooker and microwave
Pressure cooker – a useful device in the kitchen, in the working cup of which pressurized. Due to this, the food is cooked at a higher temperature and as a result, faster.
You can cook elastic potatoes in the microwave. In this case, the prepared roots should be folded into plastic dishes, pre-chopped with a fork, the peel in several places, and covered with a lid, suitable for use in the microwave.
Place the dishes with potatoes in the oven for 8-13 minutes, setting the maximum power in the settings.
Tasty, fragrant and very appetizing potato in its uniform is obtained in the oven. For its preparation it is desirable to use small tubers so that they are well baked.
If the potato is large, it can be cut into slices.
Prepared salt with salt, sprinkle with olive oil mixed with spices and herbs (turmeric, black, red pepper, coriander, rosemary) and mix well with your hands.
Spread out on a baking sheet and place in an oven heated to 240-280 degrees.
Leave the oven for 35-50 minutes (depending on the power of the tile), not forgetting to get every 12-15 minutes and turn the potatoes for even baking. Sprinkle with lemon juice.
Potatoes with the skin in the crock-pot
Delicious potatoes in their uniform can be cooked using a slow cooker, and in different modes:
- Cooking for a couple. Method 1: place the prepared potatoes in a working bowl, pour water, seal tightly and cook for 25-30 minutes;
- Cooking for a couple. Method 2: suitable for the preparation of small tubers. Pour into the bowl multicooker 2-3 cartoon. a glass of water, place the prepared potatoes in the basket-double boiler. In this case, the dish will be ready in 30-40 minutes, the readiness to determine the fork;
- Baking: potato tubers, smeared with butter, put in a bowl, bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown;
- Plov: put the roots in the bowl, pour salted water at the rate of 3 cartoon. 1 kg of potatoes, close the lid and do not open it until the program is completed. It will take about 40-45 minutes to cook a tasty, slightly roasted potato;
- Quenching: put prepared potatoes in a bowl, pour water at room temperature so that it covers the top tubers. Stew about 40-50 minutes.
Secrets of experienced housewives
Even in such a simple matter, as cooking potatoes in a uniform, there are several tricks:
- To save a couple of extra minutes when cooking, use a twenty-gram slice of butter. It will slightly increase the boiling point of water, and the potatoes will cook faster;
- And roasting time in the oven, and up to 15-20 minutes, saves a clean nail inserted into the tuber along the entire length;
- If you need to cook potatoes in a uniform for a salad, and only a crumbly variety is on hand, which, when boiled, boils soft and deformed, you need to add quite a bit of lemon juice or vinegar to the water. Acid will make the structure of tubers more dense, and they can be easily cut into small slices;
- The potato in the uniform will become even tastier if, after draining the water, boil it and dry it over a minimum of fire..
This is interesting: potatoes in numbers and facts
- Potatoes are not only tasty, but also useful. In addition to a complete set of essential amino acids, it contains fiber, phosphorus, potassium, almost all water-soluble vitamins. 200 grams of potatoes is the daily rate of vitamin C, so it was worth its weight in gold at the time of navigators and scurvy raging among them;
- The calorie content of the potato itself is small: only 110 kcal per hundred grams. Danger for slimming people are additives such as butter, sour cream, mayonnaise. They are able to double the calorie content of the product;
- Cooking potatoes with the peel retains more nutrients. However, after cooking, the peel is better to remove, because pesticides and other chemicals accumulate in it..
Just one product, and how many cooking options! All of them allow simply and quickly (from 15 minutes) to boil, extinguish or bake delicious potatoes in their uniform.
- 1 What kind of potatoes to choose?
- 2 Preparation of potatoes for cooking
- 3 Cooking on the stove: step by step instructions
- 4 Potato jacket in a pressure cooker and microwave
- 5 baked potato
- 6 Potatoes with the skin in the crock-pot
- 7 Secrets of experienced housewives
- 8 This is interesting: potatoes in numbers and facts