Horseradish is a traditional Russian seasoning, which gives food a more spicy and rich taste. As a rule, sauces made from this product are harvested for the winter, because they belong to the category of warming dishes. Below we will talk about how to cook and what the hell, how to grate it and eat it..
How can I rub the root
The root of this plant, belonging to the cabbage family, is usually dug up on a garden bed in early spring and late autumn, during this period it becomes mature and sharp, while losing its unpleasant bitterness. It is washed in cold water, and if there are slightly wilted roots, they can be dipped in ice water for several hours..
There are several ways to chop horseradish, for example:
- Use a meat grinder – for this, the roots will need to be cut into small pieces to make them easier to twist;
- On a regular grater – experienced housewives advise you to use the smallest grater to get the consistency of gruel and cook a real horseradish sauce. It is also recommended to do it on the balcony or even on the street, if conditions allow. Fresh air will disperse the caustic fumes emanating from this culture;
- With the help of a blender – this is probably the most convenient way, since you can chop horseradish to any condition you need, as well as the blender bowl is tightly closed, which eliminates the ingress of sharp fumes into the air.
It is the isolation during the grinding of essential oils that impede the processing and preparation of this culture. Couples get into the nasal and oral cavity, into the eyes, irritate the mucous membranes, which causes unpleasant sensations.
To grind it without tears, the easiest way to use the blender, as it performs its task in seconds, not allowing the pairs to leak out of the bowl.
If you use a conventional meat grinder or grater, then in this case, you can apply the old and proven method – put on a face mask that protects the mucous from irritation. You can use the usual package, tight-fitting glasses.
But there is another way to avoid tears during root processing – this is to put it in the freezer for 1 hour..
|Horseradish (root) –||200 g|
|Beet –||100 g|
|Table vinegar 9% –||3 tbsp.|
|Salt –||1 tsp.|
|Granulated sugar –||1 tsp.|
|Water –||200 ml|
|Time for preparing: 1440 minutes||Calories per 100 grams: 53 Kcal|
A surprisingly tasty, aromatic and healthy snack can be obtained if it is cooked from horseradish with the addition of beets..
How to cook the sauce step by step:
- The first thing you need to do the roots: they are washed in cold water, cleaned from lumps of dirt and sand, then they need to remove the top layer with a scraper or knife;
- Horseradish is once again washed in water, after which it must be cut into small pieces;
- Soak the obtained pieces of this culture in water for 6-12 hours;
- After the required amount of time has passed, the pieces can be taken out of the water and started to grind them. As mentioned above, the easiest way to do the procedure with the help of a blender, if you don’t have one at hand, you can use a grater or meat grinder, having previously prepared a mask for the face and eyes;
- Take barely warm boiled water and pour horseradish with it in a separate container (the water should slightly cover the rubbed gruel);
- In the meantime, you can start beetroot (it can be both boiled and raw), which you also need to grate on a fine grater;
- The juice obtained from beets must be poured into a bowl of horseradish gruel filled with water;
- Into the mixture, add salt, sugar and vinegar, after which the sauce is thoroughly mixed, placed in a jar and twisted lid;
- The jar should be placed in the fridge for 12 hours, which will allow all the ingredients to soak each other..
Recipe without vinegar
The rich and fragrant sauce of their beets and horseradish can also be prepared without vinegar. The rest of the dish will be as follows:
|What is required||How much|
|Horseradish root||0.5 kg|
|Granulated sugar||2 tbsp.|
|Boiled water||At the discretion of|
The cooking time of this dish will take about 13 hours, 12 hours of which will be set aside for insisting in the refrigerator. Calorie per 100 grams of the product will not exceed 50 kcal.
How to cook:
- The roots are washed in water, cleaned of dirt and peel;
- Horseradish must be ground on a fine grater with a blender;
- Prepare a glass container (it can be a deep bowl or a jar) in which the gruel from the ground roots fits, it is sprinkled with sugar and salt on top;
- Beets (you can take fresh) grind on a very fine grater (so it will give more juice), received from her liquid pour into horseradish;
- Mix all the ingredients together, add quite a bit of water (if necessary), put the seasoning in the fridge for 12 hours.
Homemade Horseradish Recipe with Beets and Tomatoes
To make the hot sauce richer and more savory, you can add tomatoes to it. The remaining ingredients will be:
|What to take||How much do you need|
|Ripe tomatoes||4 things|
|Horseradish root||0.5 kg|
|Medium beets||1 PC|
|Table Vinegar||2 tbsp.|
|Vegetable oil||1 tbsp.|
|Water||At the discretion of|
The total cooking time is 1 day exactly. Calorie per 100 grams will not exceed 60 kcal.
- Horseradish to clean, grate on a fine grater or chop in a blender, put in a separate container;
- Peel the tomatoes, mince or grind in a blender, extract the juice from the resulting slurry;
- Skip garlic through a press;
- Boil the beets until half cooked, grind on a fine grater, also extract the juice;
- In horseradish introduce tomato juice, beet juice, garlic, salt, sugar, vegetable oil, vinegar. Pour all with a small amount of water (to lightly cover the mixture);
- Mix all ingredients and leave to approach in the refrigerator for exactly 1 day.
The recipe for horseradish snacks for the winter
Fragrant and rich seasoning can be prepared for the winter, and with the advent of cold, use it as a dressing for dishes:
|Medium beets||4 things|
|Horseradish root||100 gr|
|Table vinegar 9%||4 tbsp.|
The cooking time will take about 1 hour. Calorie per 100 grams of the product – no more than 55 kcal.
How to make horseradish with beets for the winter:
- Raw beets and horseradish are washed and peeled;
- Using a blender or meat grinder, you need to grind both root vegetables and combine them in a separate bowl;
- 200 ml of water put on the fire, pour salt, sugar into it, bring water to a boil, then remove from the heat and pour vinegar into it;
- Slightly cool the marinade pour in horseradish and beetroot, mix the ingredients, place on the jars, spin and put in a dark cool place..
Recipe with apples for the winter
Such an unusual and wonderful taste sauce is perfect for winter meat dishes, for example, to brawn:
|What do you need||In what proportions|
|Horseradish (root)||50 gr|
|Vinegar 9%||1 tsp.|
Cooking time – no more than 30 minutes. Calories – 53 kcal per 100 grams of sauce.
How to cook:
- Apples cut into small slices, send them in a microwave bake for 1.5 minutes;
- Meanwhile, wash the root and peel it off, grind it in a blender;
- Peel the father-in-law, then grind in the same way in a blender;
- Combine the gruel of both root vegetables in a separate bowl;
- From the baked apples strain the juice, pour in horseradish and beets;
- Skip garlic through a press, add to the total mass;
- Introduce vinegar, salt, sugar, mix everything thoroughly;
- Distribute the resulting seasoning to the banks. Roll them up and put them in a dark place..
What is served beetroot snack with horseradish
Such a wonderful homemade seasoning, like horseradish with beets, is served with meat dishes, both fried and boiled. It is also used with brawn, aspic, and even smeared on toast..
If the root was purchased in a store or on the market, after processing and cutting it must be soaked in cold water and left in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours, for a maximum of 12 hours..
Thus, culture will regain its former elasticity and richness. If it is dug up just before making the sauce, then this procedure can be dispensed with and immediately proceed to the next step..
To get a more burning and rich sauce, you can add a little bit of beet to horseradish with beetroot juice. It does not spoil the dishes at all, but on the contrary, it will only emphasize sharpness. You can use both raw beets and boiled, however, boiled will give the dish a more delicate flavor..
To get delicious horseradish with beets, it is important to get a good product, which means that the root of horseradish should not have any cracks, and its thickness should be no more than the thickness of the index finger.
As brine you can use ready brine from pickled tomatoes..