Each woman, one way or another, includes in the family ration of offal. This is done at once for several reasons – the low price of meat of the lower category, as well as the desire to diversify the daily table.
However, the result of cooked dishes is not always able to please, because offal requires a completely different approach than beef tenderloin or selected pork chop.
Let’s try to figure out where the real value of the product is, and whether the meat of this category is safe as it is considered.
What is offal
Offal valued from time immemorial. The wisdom of the people has long identified the most seemingly low-grade meat derivative, an honorable place in a traditional health resort..
As the process of the impact of these products on the body, the ancient sages, of course did not know, but accurately correlated the internal organs of dead animals with the work of similar human organs.
If you put the concept of “offal” in one phrase, then it is – the internal organs and the least valuable parts of the mascara of domestic and wild animals, edible. In other words, it is not only the liver, lungs, kidneys and all that we used to mean by this concept, but also the head of the animal, tail, udder, tibia with hoofs.
Good and harm – where is the middle?
There are no products consisting of the same pros and cons – these are always two sides, and when choosing a dish, both should be considered.
One of the most common and, by the way, expensive by-products, is the liver. The content of the vitamin composition (and it contains vitamins A, B, E and D), it does not exist equal among the products of animal origin, but its taste is quite specific.
Also, you may not like the smell of the liver during cooking, this is especially pronounced in the cooking process. Partially, this deficiency can be eliminated by keeping the liver in cold water or milk for 2-3 hours..
It is not recommended to prepare the liver of old animals, or those who have been ill – in the filtering device of toxins, that is, in the same liver, over the years of life, or during the period of treatment, a considerable supply of toxic, antibiotic, and hormonal substances will certainly be postponed.
But, even if the taste of this by-product does not cause delight, its ingestion cannot be avoided while maintaining many therapeutic diets aimed at restoring:
- normal functioning of the gastrointestinal tract;
- immune and cardiovascular apparatus;
- cosmetic skin defects or diseases.
There is a plus in the kidneys. Despite the fact that the preparation of this product itself is quite complicated, its benefits are so obvious that it outweighs the inconvenience of cooking..
The main problem faced by the hostess is the forcedness of repeated washing and long-term soaking of this by-product, in order to eliminate the smell and taste of urine. By themselves, the kidneys are a unique natural zinc – an element of beauty..
The heart, tongue and lungs are well saturated with iron, magnesium and copper. This mainly concerns the heart, which is practically a non-competitive by-product when it comes to dietary nutrition. The lungs are a source of animal protein that perfectly saturates the body, but does not overload it and is well metabolized..
Language, this product is quite fat, but this is its only drawback. It is quite expensive, and is not on the table so often as to fear any significant violations of current diets..
The language is highly recommended for women during lactation, as this time, for a woman, is due to frequent gastric disorders..
What are meat offal products?
In terms of nutritional value and its essence, meat by-products are the same meat, but with reduced quality. Often, they are bought in pet food. However, there are a number of exceptionally delicious and recognized dishes that are unthinkable without the so-called “pruning”. These dishes include known to all:
- udder stewed in sour cream or with vegetables;
- various dishes from the liver, tongue, heart.
All these by-products are not cheap, sometimes – not cheaper than the best choice tenderloin, but for some reason they are categorized, a step below normal meat..
In addition to the above, belonging to the first class of offal, there is also a second class (category II). It includes: the head of the animal (ears, lips), scar and other components of liver production.
They are rarely used as cooking of independent dishes and much more often allowed for processing in sausage, fodder production, in the field of snacks..
In terms of pricing, this product is at the lowest level among the meat components, and their energy value is relatively low – up to 180 kcal per 100 grams of product.
What is chicken offal?
Of all the categories of by-products, chicken products are in the greatest demand – as the most dietary, inexpensive and accessible everywhere. Of particular note are chicken ventricles, which contain so little animal fat and so much protein, that they can easily be made favorites of the diet table. Of course, provided they are properly prepared..
The next type of chicken offal is hearts. They are already difficult to attribute to diet products, but as a filler for recovery broths of rehabilitative nutrition after prolonged illnesses, hearts are simply irreplaceable..
Chicken liver is a unique product, a set of priceless vitamins A, B, C, folic acid and amino acid compounds. In addition, chicken liver contains: copper, calcium, zinc and sodium.
By-products often require special treatment, whereas ordinary, store-bought meat can be washed out before cooking under running water..
Both beef and pork liver are pierced with ducts and, moreover, they have a fairly rigid film on the surface. Both the first and the second must be carefully cleaned – and the flow tubes should be cut to one, as they give the dish a nasty bitterness and a very tough taste..
The same applies to the kidneys, wrapped in a fat shell, which will have to be removed, and the kidneys themselves repeatedly pour cold water and rinse. Before soaking, it is recommended to cut the kidneys along.
If the tongue cannot be cleaned, it requires additional stripping and removal of the neck tube, but the purchased scar should be not only thoroughly cleaned from the inside, but also minimized in a special way before cooking.
Interesting recipes from offal
What can be made from offal? Offal dishes are so diverse that they can be served at least a few times a week and at the same time avoid repeated recipes without any effort..
Try to prepare the following three dishes to appreciate the originality of simple dishes, consisting of the very minimum number of ingredients..
|fresh lung –||0.5 kg|
|carrots –||1 PC.|
|Luke –||1 PC.|
|salt and pepper –||taste|
|cooking oil for roasting –||1 tbsp. l.|
|Time for preparing: 90 minutes||Calories per 100 grams: 114 Kcal|
- Pre-soaked lungs in cold water, boil under pressure until fully cooked. The oppression is required so that the lungs do not float to the surface;
- Then, the lungs should be cooled by placing them on one cutting board and pressing on top of another, with the yoke put on it. It should be borne in mind that liquid will be liberated from offal;
- While the lungs are cooling, you need to cook in vegetable oil a toast of onions and carrots of medium size;
- After cooling, the lung should be sorted, cleaned from the veins and finely chopped. Mix with vegetables, add spices (optional);
- Then you have to take wooden skewers and make a kind of “sausage” around them. Put them in the fridge;
- Turn on the oven and when the temperature reaches 200 degrees, lay the sausages on skewers and bake them until ready.
Chicken liver zrazy
- 0.5 kg of potatoes;
- 250 grams of chicken liver;
- 1 small onion;
- 1 small carrot;
- salt pepper;
- 20 grams of dill;
- 5 tbsp. l breadcrumbs;
- 1 tbsp. l vegetable oil.
Preparation time – 60 minutes.
The number of calories per 100 grams of product – 230 kcal.
- Boil the potatoes in their skins, then cool them, peel and chop them in a meat grinder;
- Add spices and dill, mix well;
- Separately make frying onions and carrots in vegetable oil (you can take ½ medium vegetables);
- Boil chicken liver in salted water, chop it, also, in a meat grinder and combine with vegetables;
- From the minced potato, make pancakes, put 1 tsp in the middle of each. liver fillings. Break in the “hands” in wet hands, sprinkle with breadcrumbs and fry in hot sunflower oil until crisp.
Baked Beef Tongue
- 800 grams of beef tongue;
- ready hot sauce with horseradish – to taste;
- sour cream – to taste;
- 1 large onion;
- 200 grams of hard cheese;
- 1 tbsp. l vegetable oil.
Cooking time – 3.5 hours.
The number of calories per 100 grams of product – 180 kcal.
- Pre-prepared, washed tongue should be boiled in salted water for 2.5 hours;
- Then, the by-product needs to be cooled and cooled in the refrigerator;
- Now it is necessary to carefully peel off the tongue and cut the whole piece into thin plates;
- In an odorless vegetable oil, fry the onion sliced into half rings;
- Put a few rolled-up slices of tongue in cocottes, put a little fried onion on top of each serving, salt it;
- Mix the ready-made mixture of table horseradish with sour cream in the same proportion as the spiciness of the dish is required, and cover the contents of the coconut with the sauce;
- Sprinkle portions with grated cheese and bake the dish at 180 degrees for 20 minutes..
Who should not eat offal
Opinions of doctors differ on the frequency with which offal should be consumed by people with various forms of cardiovascular disease, as well as gouty manifestations and diseases of the joints.
However, there are general recommendations, the observance of which definitely does not harm:
- reduce the intake of tongue and brains to 3-4 uses per year;
- limit the presence of beef liver in the diet, for people over 60;
- in case of joint diseases and atherosclerosis, it is recommended to eat any by-product not more than three times a week.